Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

idling problem!

tj_156
02-14-2004, 12:25 AM
hey guys, got an idling problem. i just replaced the idle air control valve in my 94 s-10 4X4 vortec 4.3. well, i did it because my rpms would sometimes dip and surge when i was slowing or idling. the truck ran great besides that.....still plenty of power for over 100k. well, now the truck idles even MORE eratically at lower rpms...dieing a couple times on me. I ran a code reader *actually shorted the two pins* but it came out clean. a mechanic friend of mine said that it could be that theres just too much carbon, and told me to spray some carb cleaner into my intake and rev it to let it cycle through, let it die, sit for a while, then start it up and drive it to let it level out. I trust him to tell me the truth, but could that actually work?...granted the valve i took out was just CAKED black, but why would the new one work WORSE? another friend of mine who knows a decent amount said that it might just take a day or two to set itself with the computer and to just drive it until it level's. after i put it in i drove it for a good 15-20 minutes at around 55mph, but still kept dipping around 500 rpms when theres no gas. the mechanic also told me that the valve might need to be reprogrammed by the dealer, which i'm hoping isnt the case. so, has anyone else had this problem? has anyone every used carb cleaner to do this? ANY help would be appreciated.

Jeremy-WI
02-14-2004, 06:21 AM
I've heard of it as long as its labeled safe for O2 sensors. Some people use Sea Foam. If that intake is caked you may need to clean up your EGR. Don't wait too long to change your oil after cleaning your intake

Add your comment to this topic!