Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

R32 GTS-t Kakimoto Exhaust options

my3rdskyline
02-13-2004, 06:59 PM
I just reinstalled my Kakimoto Racing Exhaust system. It only goes from the cat back though. The one I have is supposed to be for a GTR (this is what the japanese guy from "turboed" told me). I have a size issue. From the downpipe to the cat it's 73mm. then there is a 2 inch long 73mm to 90mm adapter. then my 3 bolt 90mm kakimoto system goes all the way to the back of the car. I want to get rid of my cat and just put in a straight pipe. I was told by this guy that because the exhaust I have is for a GTR that there is no 90mm downpipe/straight pipe system made by Kakimoto for my GTS-t. I just think it's kind of silly to run a 90mm exhaust from the cat back, if the downpipe and cat are 73mm.

Should I install the 80mm downpipe system and cat that the guy said will fit???? then i'll have 80mm down. 80mm straight pipe. adapter. 90mm back to the muffler.

Should I just get a 73mm straight pipe to replace the cat and call it a day???? 73mm down. 73mm straight. my existing 73/90mm adapter -> 90mm back to the muffler.

Should I look for a full 90mm kit the whole way????

Should I replace the whole thing????

I do like the Kakimoto Racing Exhaust though, and from what I hear it's a very good system.

Here are pictures so you can see what I'm talking about
http://members.cardomain.com/iwishihadavette2

RazorGTR
02-14-2004, 02:45 PM
For one a 3 1/2" exhaust on a 2 litre is way too big unless you are running a very big turbo with hi revs. You will loose even more bottom end.

If you love this system the have an adaptor made up, but in all honesty you would make more power and torque with a 3 inch system.

my3rdskyline
02-14-2004, 07:17 PM
it's what came with the car so......

matada
02-14-2004, 08:09 PM
I have seen lots of prople use the GTR spec exhaust due to the high availablity for the GTS-T. You doo lose an awful lot of power on the bottom end. About the only way to put a 90pi front pipe/straight pipe is to ge a turbine outlet pipe that is 90pi as well. This is probably more expensive than picking up a good used GTS-T exhaust however.

The Kakimoto is a great exhaust, but only when it is used on the correct application. I just browsed Yahoo Japan and found about 10 exhaust systems for under 20000 yen that are the correct size for you vehicle.

If all else fails, PM me as I have a few here in stock as well. Good luck.

my3rdskyline
02-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Like I said, I didn't pick the exhaust, it's just what came with the car. I'm just wondering what my best choice would be to the 4 questions in my original post. What are the pros and cons of each option. any info is greatly appreciated.

I have a complete stock exhaust system for this car too. I have to have it for when I go to get my JCI done. (inspection)

Basicly..... what would you do if you were me?

RazorGTR
02-15-2004, 10:24 AM
I had a custom 3 inch fitted to my old R32 GTS-t. All up it would have cost $375 USD including stainless muffler. This was a straight through system from the downpipe back.

If I were you? I would flick (sell it) and use the funds to get another system custom made as they will be cheaper in the long run compared to a brand name one from Japan.

my3rdskyline
02-15-2004, 10:44 AM
But I am in Japan. You still think that would be cheaper?

my3rdskyline
02-16-2004, 08:46 AM
I got the bolt in straight "test" pipe. because I "test" my car every time I drive it. It is a little quicker though. I can feel the difference. The pipe was about 100 bucks so it was kind of a rip but.... whatever. I think I'm done doing shit to this car untill I know for sure where I'm going to live 3 years from now. no sense in dumping money into a car im going to have to sell in 2 or 3 years. And importing a GTS-t for 16 grand seems like a joke. so.... peace. thanks to all for the advice.

Add your comment to this topic!