Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbag light on after plug wire change???

speedindevil
02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
My stepfather has a 1998 S-10 with a 2.2 5 speed with 136,000 miles on it. Right after he had his spark plug wires changed, maybe it was just coincidence. He brought it back to the dealer and they said that all the sensors are ok. Anyone have any ideas? I just wondered if this was a typical problem that you guys have all solved already. I thought I would ask all of you guys to see if I can fix it and save him a few bucks. Thanks

Bronco2
02-12-2004, 07:00 PM
So, are you telling me the dealer could not tell him why the airbag lite is on?

speedindevil
02-13-2004, 05:30 PM
yes, they said that they just wanted to make sure one of them didn't disconnect a sensor or something, because he had them do a couple other things when he had the wires changed. He didn't want to pay the extra money to find out why it was on. On these newer cars, isn't the sensor just a box in the passenger compartment under one of the seats? or is it still bumper sensors?

Bronco2
02-13-2004, 06:41 PM
The truck has multiple sensors,all identified by being bright yellow wiring connections-most techs will not disconnect these without disconnecting the battery and waiting for the caps. to discharge.(most vehicles). I think he is stuck with having it diagnosed to see where the problem is.

michelq
02-15-2004, 06:59 AM
air bag system it is not do it your self you need to know what you are doing it is dangerous and expensive

GMMerlin
02-15-2004, 08:27 AM
air bag system it is not do it your self you need to know what you are doing it is dangerous and expensive

Excellent statement!
The SIR system is not a system to be messed with by the untrained. Incorrectly probing a wire or mishandling a componant can cause some serious and painfull consequences.
If the SIR light has come on, then the SIR system has seen a fault in the system.
There is a DTC stored to aid with diagnosis.

Add your comment to this topic!