Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brakes applying on their own

WD404Ever
02-12-2004, 01:19 PM
I have a 2001 with 2.4L, auto, and 65,000 miles. It was a recent purchase from a private party and I am still working out some issues. After driving a few miles at moderate speeds the brakes begin dragging significantly, so much that it will come to a stop on level while still in gear if I let off the accelerator. I inspected the front pads and found the passenger side was worn completely down on the caliper/ piston side. So I replaced the front calipers and pads and bled out the lines, inspected the brake lines and hoses and they appear OK.. I drove it a few miles and brakes seem to dragging just as bad as before.

I have disconnected the fuse from the ABS system to see what kind of effect it would have and the it didn't effect the problem. I did notice however that the problem seems to appear at highway speeds or if I'm climbing a hill even at speeds of 25-30mph. It's not as much as the brake not releasing when I lift off the brake pedal, but rather the brakes are self-applying when the engine is under load.

Could it be a problem with the brake booster or some regulator valve not working correctly?

Chameleon-kat
02-12-2004, 02:34 PM
That sounds strange. Do you have traction control? What happens if you turn that off?

WD404Ever
02-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I have traction control. I switched it off and it had no effect. I believe the traction control is tied in with the ABS system and it's defeated when the ABS fuse is removed from the fuse block.

n2racing
05-19-2004, 10:04 AM
The brake hose on that side is more than likely collapsed inside. Replace it and I'm sure that will cure your problem. I've seen this situation more than I can count.

Add your comment to this topic!