Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiring a 2-ohm Sub

Diesel2NR
02-12-2004, 02:26 AM
My Kicker CompVRs are Dual 2 ohm subs. When I wired them inside the box, I just connected both negagtives to eachother, as with the positives, then to the wire thingy (the clip things...you know...). I then ran a negative and positive wire to the amp, putting them one the bridged negative and positive. Now comes my question, that I've just thought of. Doesn't that make it 1 ohm per speaker now? Should I have run on voice coil to left and one voice coil to right?

Note: Each sub has it's own amp. My amps ARE NOT 2 ohm stable, which in all likelyhood, means they aren't 1 ohm stable, and probably explains why they keep going into protection mode if I turn the system up very loud. :uhoh:

Haibane
02-12-2004, 09:02 AM
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/wiring.htm

sr20de4evr
02-12-2004, 09:43 AM
My Kicker CompVRs are Dual 2 ohm subs. When I wired them inside the box, I just connected both negagtives to eachother, as with the positives, then to the wire thingy (the clip things...you know...). I then ran a negative and positive wire to the amp, putting them one the bridged negative and positive. Now comes my question, that I've just thought of. Doesn't that make it 1 ohm per speaker now? Should I have run on voice coil to left and one voice coil to right?

Note: Each sub has it's own amp. My amps ARE NOT 2 ohm stable, which in all likelyhood, means they aren't 1 ohm stable, and probably explains why they keep going into protection mode if I turn the system up very loud. :uhoh:

You wired them in parallel, which is showing your bridged amp a single 1ohm load, which is showing each individual channel 1/2ohm. You REALLY should have researched some before trying to hook them up, and you're very lucky your amp still works.

You need to do this for each speaker
http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/wiring/1dvcseries.GIF

Diesel2NR
02-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I put'em in a series and everything's much better now. I'm no longer thinking about sellin the system, cause now that it sounds good and the amps aren't overheating, I can't get enough of it. :uhoh:

MethodMan420
02-19-2004, 05:49 AM
You think it sounds good now, find a 1 ohm stable amp, use a sealed box and hear those speakers come to life. ( Or at least thats how I like it )

Add your comment to this topic!