Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Request for post-painting advice.

daveoh
02-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi,

I just finished painting my first two tone body after several decades away from modeling. It’s Revell’s version of Jeff Gordon’s flaming #24. Overall, I’m surprisingly pleased with the results. I used the Tamiya canned TS series paint to get the best color match. However…

I’m using Tamiya tape 10mm and 18mm to mask the body. When I pulled off the tape on the tip of the hood I got lines (impressions, I think) where the 10mm strips overlapped.

Also, on the front grille and fenders the 18mm, which is more cloth-like, left a lot of glue residue. Several questions:

How should I get the lines out of the hood? Should I polish it out? Sand and spray again (I’ve already put on too many coats, I think) Will the paint run across the two tone line on the hood if I polish it? Honestly, I’m inclined to let the “DUPONT” decal cover most of it and just move on.

What should I use to clean off the tape glue without damaging the paint?

I had let the red set up for over 72 hours before masking and doing the metallic blue – was that long enough?

Next I’m planning to clear coat, polish, and then do the decals. Do I need to put on a final clear coat to seal the decals? I’m really worried about waxing the decals directly.

Lastly, I’ve painted the black boarders (acrylic) around the windows, is it safe to dip them in future or will that screw up the paint.

Sorry for the long post with multiple questions, I hope that’s not bad form.

Any and all comments and suggestions on any of the questions/woes are welcome. Thanks in advance, David O.

primera man
02-12-2004, 04:32 AM
If the decal covers most of the hood, just lighty sand the ridge out and apply the decal over the top to hide it.

Use some Tamiya rubbing compound to remove the tape glue.

Apply the decals then apply the clear last of all.

Add your comment to this topic!