Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I spend my money on a '95 Mustang, or restory a 1966 Malibu?

xXx Loki xXx
02-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I am not sure if this is on the right board; it seemed like a comparison to me, if not, I'll move it..

I just bought a 4-door 1966 Chevelle Malibu with a 327ci engine for $1000 bucks as a project car. The body is fine, but the engine needs to be cleaned/rebuilt, the interior needs to be completely redone, and it needs to be stripped down to the metal and repainted. I think I could have everything on the Malibu done in a few months. I have about 8500 in the bank, and I want to invest some money into it, but my parents are concerned that the car won't be worth nearly as much as I put into it, and want me to buy my neighbor's '95 Mustang for $5500, and work on the Malibu over a period of time. I have been looking online but can't find a place that'll show the value of a restored Malibu. What do you guys think the value of the restored Malibu would be? Should I get the Mustang, and invest the remaining 3000 in the Malibu, or just use all my money to restore the Malibu? Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

AcesHigh
02-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Whatever tickles your fancy.

camaroincal
02-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I am not sure if this is on the right board; it seemed like a comparison to me, if not, I'll move it..

I just bought a 4-door 1966 Chevelle Malibu with a 327ci engine for $1000 bucks as a project car. The body is fine, but the engine needs to be cleaned/rebuilt, the interior needs to be completely redone, and it needs to be stripped down to the metal and repainted. I think I could have everything on the Malibu done in a few months. I have about 8500 in the bank, and I want to invest some money into it, but my parents are concerned that the car won't be worth nearly as much as I put into it, and want me to buy my neighbor's '95 Mustang for $5500, and work on the Malibu over a period of time. I have been looking online but can't find a place that'll show the value of a restored Malibu. What do you guys think the value of the restored Malibu would be? Should I get the Mustang, and invest the remaining 3000 in the Malibu, or just use all my money to restore the Malibu? Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

If the Mustang is a GT with low miles and good condition I would forget about a junked 4 door Malibu =/

Lambor
02-12-2004, 04:52 PM
i would go with the malibu,but depends on what you like.

xXx Loki xXx
02-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I would honestly rather restore the Malibu. The mustang is a v6, and the Malibu is a 327ci v8. Even though it's 4-door, it still looks sexy to me. And I've thought about it a lot, and I figured that no car is going to sell for what you put into it. I mean, there's people selling their modified cars for a lot less than all of the swapping/rebuilding/etc. I just wanted opinions from some people that know a lot more about this stuff than I do, so any more opinions are appreciated.

camaroincal
02-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I would honestly rather restore the Malibu. The mustang is a v6, and the Malibu is a 327ci v8. Even though it's 4-door, it still looks sexy to me. And I've thought about it a lot, and I figured that no car is going to sell for what you put into it. I mean, there's people selling their modified cars for a lot less than all of the swapping/rebuilding/etc. I just wanted opinions from some people that know a lot more about this stuff than I do, so any more opinions are appreciated.

Well then it's a no brainer if it's a 95 V6. Those are complete dogs..lol

GTStang
02-13-2004, 12:36 AM

That's exactly right! You will never get back the money you put into the Mailbu. Just remember that and if your ok with it then go for it. But also remember what you think will take 8 months usuallt takes almost two years. So if you don't have a car don't count on the project get a cheap inbetween car.

Also one note I just though of. You'd be better of getting a good body Malibu with the money you have. There cheap to find and body work takes up 1/3 of total restoration costs!

NISSANSPDR
02-13-2004, 02:51 AM
Malibu...V6 mustangs blow

HandofDoom
02-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Malibu

camaroincal
02-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Well 95 V6 Mustangs are quite underpowered. But the newer ones are no slouch, with a 5 speed anyway.

jonthan
10-14-2004, 06:50 PM

I just bought a 4-door 1966 Chevelle Malibu with a 327ci engine for $1000 bucks as a project car. The body is fine, but the engine needs to be cleaned/rebuilt, the interior needs to be completely redone, and it needs to be stripped down to the metal and repainted. I think I could have everything on the Malibu done in a few months. I have about 8500 in the bank, and I want to invest some money into it, but my parents are concerned that the car won't be worth nearly as much as I put into it, and want me to buy my neighbor's '95 Mustang for $5500, and work on the Malibu over a period of time. I have been looking online but can't find a place that'll show the value of a restored Malibu. What do you guys think the value of the restored Malibu would be? Should I get the Mustang, and invest the remaining 3000 in the Malibu, or just use all my money to restore the Malibu? Any advice/opinions are appreciated. hey restore it tha care is hella hot once it looks good n runs

FordJunky
10-14-2004, 07:04 PM
well, i say you and your parents should compromise... buy and restore a 66 mustang!

Add your comment to this topic!