Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SHould I buy oR NOT HELP!!!!

dcafi
02-11-2004, 01:52 AM
they are selling me a 1968 vw beetle with a rebuilt engine new clutch and new muffler Plus other smaller upgrades. i read somewhere that rebuilt engines are not good on beetles but im not sure. its being sold for 1900 and its in good condition is it worth it????? i dont know much about cars and beetles so any help is appreaciated.

boschmann
02-12-2004, 08:01 PM
The person/place that did the rebuild makes all the difference. Beetle engines don't last that long, so it's not unusual (in fact I doubt you'll ever find one that hasn't been rebuilt). There are tremendous differences in the quality of a rebuild you can run across because lots of people think they're like a lawnmower engine and there's nothing to it, so they try to do it themselves. Find out who did the job & see if they can answer some questions (if the engine came from a re-manufacturer these were all done). Was the case align bored? Was the thrust bearing cut to match the case? Were the heads flycut & was the compression ratio recalculated & cylinders properly shimmed? Were new pistons & cylinders used? Was the end play reset/reshimmed? Compare the price to what you see on eBay. Also look at Thesamba.com as a reference.

Add your comment to this topic!