Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ecu question, plz help i am at the end of my rope

slimmcb
02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I bought a 93 3000gt SL about 4 months ago. I love the car but it has been an electric nightmare. Weird things happen constantly. For instance the engine will just cut out. I have had the ignition replaced that seemed to remedy the issue for some time but it started up again not to long ago it only happens like once or twice a month or so. other strange things happen electronically. I am going to bite the bullet and try replacing the ECU. I have two questions, one where can I get a standard ECU or a performance ECU. and is this something I can switch out myself ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

talskinyguy
02-10-2004, 11:21 PM
try swapping with someone local to see if it fixes it, you could also unplug the ECS computer and see if that helps. I know a couple people who had erratic problems and it was the ECS computer. passenger side of the rear hatch if your looking for it.

slimmcb
02-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks i appreciate that, i was looking at one of the ecu on 3xs there is a realativly cheap ones i think that my ecs is already unplugged the car has aftermarket struts on it and i think u have to unplug the ecs for that, unfortunatly I dont know anyother 3000gt owners in louisville

talskinyguy
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM
www.3si.org

check there for local owners

Nesryn
02-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey man, I know your pain. My car is great except for it's electrical problems. Especially with the headlights. My bulbs just explode for no reason every once in a while, and I've had instances of weird wires fusing together and shorting out. Does unplugging the ECS really make much of a difference? Like, I've heard of people doing it for various reasons, but does it really do anything?

slimmcb
02-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I am not sure if it works, mine was unplugged when i got it. the guy had put on after market shocks and as far as i know you have to unplug the ecs. I dont see why it would but from what i have read seems to help some people.

Add your comment to this topic!