1988 2.0L Oil Pressure sending unit location

ben992
02-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Where is the oil pressure sending unit located on the 2.0L Camry??? That may be where my oil leak is.

Thanks!

ProMan
02-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Where is the oil pressure sending unit located on the 2.0L Camry??? That may be where my oil leak is.

Thanks!

I believe your engine is 3SFE. The oil pressure switch is located at the upper right corner of the engine if you look at it from front. It looks like a thick round disk sticking out from the cylinder head with grooves on it and there is a wire connected to it. If it leaks, you should be able to see it easily. Where is your leak located?

ben992
02-12-2004, 08:08 AM
I believe your engine is 3SFE. The oil pressure switch is located at the upper right corner of the engine if you look at it from front. It looks like a thick round disk sticking out from the cylinder head with grooves on it and there is a wire connected to it. If it leaks, you should be able to see it easily. Where is your leak located?

My leak is hard to find. It is not at the oil pressure sending unit--thanks for the info. A mechanic friend on mine told me to make sure there was no obstruction in the PCV system. He said if there was, it could spring a leak.

ProMan
02-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Hmm, did you see oil drops on the ground? Can you see wet area on the engine?

PCV, I am not sure about that. But as far as I know, PCV is for air in the engine block to recirculate back to the intake. Shouldn't leak oil even it's blocked.

Do you have picture of the leak?

gator2764
02-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Check the distributer O-Ring while you are at it. I was told that I had a blown head gasket!!!! NOT.

ben992
02-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Hmm, did you see oil drops on the ground? Can you see wet area on the engine?

PCV, I am not sure about that. But as far as I know, PCV is for air in the engine block to recirculate back to the intake. Shouldn't leak oil even it's blocked.

Do you have picture of the leak?

No picture but the engine is so wet and the drops on the ground are in about 3 different places. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) keeps the pressure out of the crankcase. If it can't then there will be more pressure. If I understand this correctly.

ben992
02-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Check the distributer O-Ring while you are at it. I was told that I had a blown head gasket!!!! NOT.

The distributor O-ring was the first thing my mechanic buddy told me to check.

Thanks

gator2764
02-12-2004, 11:34 AM
My 95 had what appeared to be a blown head gasket. The O-Ring was like peanut brittle and the valve cover had a slight leak on the left side. Together these leaks were dripping on both sides of the motor and also running down the back side of the head and meeting in the middle. That is what caused two mechanics to think the head was leaking. It is very hard to see the back side to tell but someone I TRUST looked at it and found the problem. Toyota was ready to stick me for $800 just for labor and Goodyear wanted $1300 for the job. What a scam!!

ProMan
02-12-2004, 02:23 PM
No picture but the engine is so wet and the drops on the ground are in about 3 different places. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) keeps the pressure out of the crankcase. If it can't then there will be more pressure. If I understand this correctly.

Yes, that's one of the purpose of PCV. I thought your friend means that the leak is from the PCV. Sorry.

The PCV is in the valve cover. I think you can check if it's working by taking off the U shaped rubber hose and use your finger to feel if there is air flow.

My suggestion is, since it's hard to pinpoint where the leak is, clean up the engine (not easy) and keep checking where the oil is coming out. Unless you know where the leak is, you won't be able to fix it.

Besides the eingie, your power steering system could be another source of leaking. Good luck.

ProMan
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
My 95 had what appeared to be a blown head gasket. The O-Ring was like peanut brittle and the valve cover had a slight leak on the left side.
Toyota was ready to stick me for $800 just for labor and Goodyear wanted $1300 for the job. What a scam!!

Yes, the Distributor O ring is another possibility. And it's hard to see it leaks since the leaking area is blocked by hoses, wires, etc. and very difficult to get to see it. The oil leaked from there will stay on top of the transmission case and finally get to the ground.

ben992
02-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes, the Distributor O ring is another possibility. And it's hard to see it leaks since the leaking area is blocked by hoses, wires, etc. and very difficult to get to see it. The oil leaked from there will stay on top of the transmission case and finally get to the ground.

How hard is it to change the distributor O-ring????

ProMan
02-13-2004, 12:15 AM
How hard is it to change the distributor O-ring????

Depends on how skilled you are. If you can get a Chilton Manual, that's the best.

Basically the distributor is fixed by 2 bolts. It's not very easy to reach them. You probably need to take off the air intake hose (that's easy). Take the bolts off (they may not be the same, so remember which is which) and you can extract the distributor (of course you need to extract the plug wires from the plugs first). Then you will see the O-ring. Replace it is easy, just be careful don't scratch the new one.

When putting it back, be very careful of the orientation of the shaft! Observe the end of the distributor shaft. You will find it's non-symmetric. It has to match the groove on the cam shaft it goes into (in the valve cover) which is also non-symmtric. You can use a small mirror to confirm the orientation of the groove. Don't mistake on this one, or your engine won't wake up.

Attach the 2 bolts back, don't tighten them yet cause you need to rotate the distributor. Start the engine and rotate the distributor back and forth (this adjusts the timing). The engine will run differently according to the angle you rotate. Find the angle your engine runs the most smooth, tighten the bolts. You are pretty much done. You can have someone check the timing for you to make sure (I didn't do it cause the engine runs great on mine, so don't bother).

Good luck.

ben992
02-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Doesn't sound too bad. Doesn't look like it would be that bad either.
I do have a real live Factory Toyota Camry Service Manual.
Thanks,

Add your comment to this topic!