Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'95 "Power" button

Sidewalk
02-08-2004, 12:41 PM
My wife just picked up this Trooper while I was on my last patrol (4000 pounds of cocaine busted!). I haven't had too much of a chance to look around in it, since I have only been home since Wednesday. Pretty embaressing, but all I know about it right now is that it is green, has a V6, and is an automatic (my last SUV had 33" tires, was locked, and didn't have a single straight body panel on it from the rocks I hit...).

So last night I tried to figure out what that "Power" button was for. I was able to figure out the "Winter" button (starts you off in second gear), but could not do anything with the power button. I supposed it could just have a blown bulb in the dash, but that is not likely (unless the previous owner always left it on).

So, can anyone tell me how to work it? I was able to find on the net that it delay's the shifts for more available HP (I manually shift when I want to go fast anyway). It already seems to shift at about 5800 RPM's (just below indicated red line on the tach), so I don't know how much more it can delay (given a buffer area in the red line abyway).

Thanks

Oh, I am active duty US Coast Guard if you were wondering about the coke thing. I just got back from a 2 month patrol off the South American coast.

rodeo02
02-08-2004, 02:46 PM
The "power" button was put on all isuzu's with the 4L30E AT. (1992-2003) Like you say, it basically stretches out the shift points to let the engine rev a bit more. It boosts the line pressure in the tranny to make firmer shifts as well. I've found that if you are flooring the truck, power mode does nothing for you over "normal" mode. You will notice delayed & firmer shifts during normal acceleration while you are in power mode.
G/luck
Joel

Sidewalk
02-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Okay, but how do I get it to activate?

rodeo02
02-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Press the power button :uhoh: . If you are not getting an orange "Power Mode" indication on the dash, either the lamp is burnt (check to see if it lights up during startup diagnostic, when everything lights up) or maybe you have a problem with the switch.

Joel

Sidewalk
02-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Press the power button :uhoh: . If you are not getting an orange "Power Mode" indication on the dash, either the lamp is burnt (check to see if it lights up during startup diagnostic, when everything lights up) or maybe you have a problem with the switch.

JoelAlright, I will start screwing with the wiring and figure it out.

Since the "Winter" option has interlocks that will only allow it too function under certian circumstances (under 20 MPH, in drive only), I guessed that the "Power" option might be the same.

Noticed earlier today that the light did come on at start up, so it isn't the bulb.

Nice truck, but it just isn't the same :banghead:
http://sidewlk.homestead.com/files/95/Stock/95_R-L_rocks.jpg
http://sidewlk.homestead.com/files/88/Hollister/Hollister_josh_1.JPG

Sidewalk
02-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Well, I fixed it.

Didn't see a fuse specified for it.

I checked out the connection, looked good.

Noticed that the "Winter" button was a little sticky, so figured that could be associated with the cause.

Removed the switch, sprayed with WD-40 (freed it up some).

Decided to disassemble the switch for a better cleaning and inspection.

Broke the "Winter" button.

Lost a sping

Nearly lost the lock rollers.

Cleaned it all up, contacts looked like crap.

Went to Wal-Greens, got some Crazy Glue.

Glued the "Winter" button back together.

Searched everywhere for the lost roller (pointless to proceed without it).

Finally found the roller, covered in fur and dirt on teh garage floor after it rolled/bounced about 5 feet under a spare axle shaft (from my last 4x4).

Put it back together.

Hooked it up, dash indicator came on.

Assembled it all, all seems good now.

Need to pick up my wife from class now, then get some dinner. I will now get the chance to see what this blasted switch was holding from me.

At least I feel like less of an idiot now, knowing why it wouldn't work for me...

Add your comment to this topic!