Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 voltage irregularity

soundstream11
02-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I recently purchased a 97 trooper that has wierd voltage patterns. Here is what happens:

Headlights off - at idle i have 14.4 volts, but when i press the accelerator it drops to 12volts.

Headlights on - at idle i have around 12volts, press accelerator i get 14.4 volts

Any ideas? i know it is not the volt meter...but thats about all i know.

ONE more question. Check engine light on....says bad EGR valve. WHERE is the EGR valve?

Any help would be great. thanks

rodeo02
02-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Don't worry about what the "voltage" gauge reads unless you are getting performace/driveability issues from it. If you are really getting less than 14v with the truck running, the tranny wont shift properly & you will get all kinds of strange electrical issues. It typically is a bad alternator. I'm not familiar with the 1997 3.2L, but I believe the EGR valve is @ the rear left corner of the engine. You'll see a feed tube tapped into one of the exhaust manifolds. Follow where that tube leads to- that will be the EGR valve. Your intake/ throttle plate area, EGR system, PCV & breather system need a good cleaning every 25Kmi. A couple cans of carb cleaner & a few minutes work is all it takes!
G/luck
Joel

2eyefishclaw
02-09-2004, 10:35 PM
first concern NORMAL
second there is no code that says the EGR valve is bad what is the code?

Add your comment to this topic!