Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Tacoma starting problems?

artilla
02-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I have a 2004 4x4 Dbl. cab Tacoma which only has 1800 miles on it. It has recently started to take more than a few seconds of crank time to start. a couple of times, it has acted as if it was not going to start at all, but eventually did. I have contacted the Toyota dealer and they said it was normal for the crank time to be approx. 3-5 seconds. In my experience with Toyotas, start time should be almost immediately after turning the key. Any ideas or remarks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bamatoyota
02-07-2004, 11:12 PM
the same problem and he took it to the dealer here in huntsville,al and they replaced the starter and the 02 sensor,said that they have had many with the same problems,my 02 tacoma had the rattle in the dash thing but the dealer put the kit in to fix that problem at no cost,so if you have this problem to take it in and let them take care of it free!

redtoy92
02-08-2004, 03:18 AM
I have a 2004 4x4 Dbl. cab Tacoma which only has 1800 miles on it. It has recently started to take more than a few seconds of crank time to start. a couple of times, it has acted as if it was not going to start at all, but eventually did. I have contacted the Toyota dealer and they said it was normal for the crank time to be approx. 3-5 seconds. In my experience with Toyotas, start time should be almost immediately after turning the key. Any ideas or remarks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
take it to an other yota stealership and have them look at it. red

MARSH_HUNTR
05-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Hey Bamatoyota got mine at the same dealer prob. only had my tacoma 4x4 for about 1 1/2 weeks. I have had trouble starting it 2 times....kept trying to start I would turn it off then crank again and it would turn right over, I took it to them and they couldnt find it. Thanks for everyones posts...this is great

taconacho
05-18-2004, 02:43 AM
I have a '04 prerunner and i had the same problem. I first experienced the "starting problem" after the car had about 3-5K mi. it took me like almost 5-7 cranks to get it started. It happend 2 more times after that. Im now on 9K mi. and it's doing fine so far, but how embarrassing, new car (no plates yet) at a mall trying to start your truck and the other car is waiting for your parking space wondering "isn't that a new truck, why can't he start it." LOL, but me and my family have owned toyotas since '84 and never had any major problems. These toyota's are tough and will last a long time if you do general tune ups.

Add your comment to this topic!