intake manifold gasket - Gasket Goo?

hallie
02-07-2004, 06:08 AM
hi all
I am reconditioning a 1.5L Mazda 323 head. single o'head cam. Now ready to refit the inlet manifold with a new gasket. The workshop manual does not mention anything about using gasket goo (cement), but it does for other gaskets such as thermostat housing and water pump. So, do I need to use goo when refitting the inlet manifold?

Also, there was a metal spacer plate fitted between the head and manifold, about 1/4 inch thick, yet the manual makes no reference to it. Does it need to be fitted? If so, where? Does the gasket go on the head side of the plate or the manifold side, or do I need two gaskets? I purchased a full head gasket set and it only came with one gasket...

I have asked a few mechanic friends, but get different answers. Others don't know. Anyone assist?

quaddriver
02-07-2004, 11:13 AM
hi all
I am reconditioning a 1.5L Mazda 323 head. single o'head cam. Now ready to refit the inlet manifold with a new gasket. The workshop manual does not mention anything about using gasket goo (cement), but it does for other gaskets such as thermostat housing and water pump. So, do I need to use goo when refitting the inlet manifold?

Also, there was a metal spacer plate fitted between the head and manifold, about 1/4 inch thick, yet the manual makes no reference to it. Does it need to be fitted? If so, where? Does the gasket go on the head side of the plate or the manifold side, or do I need two gaskets? I purchased a full head gasket set and it only came with one gasket...

I have asked a few mechanic friends, but get different answers. Others don't know. Anyone assist?

I will assume 'inlet manifold' is the same as intake manifold.

The spacer, if used, use again

to guard against leaks on a straight air intake (meaning no water or exhaust ports) just use some permatex part 2B or equivalent to 'glue it on', the gasket should go on the manifold side

if you have not done the head yet, and its a shim gasket (all metal and flat) then use some 'indian head' shellac or some permatex coper spray, and thats it. if it is composite (graphite, paper with steel side or fire rings) then use copper spray lightly.

hallie
02-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Thx for the prompt response.

I have just returned from an auto spares shop an talked to the resident expert. He mentioned copper spray too. But leaned towards a non hardening black sealant goo to use, especially around the water passages.

I mentioned the spacer plate to him. He was not sure about it. the engineering campany that machined the head said not to use the spacer.

When removing the spacer it had two thin paper gaskets each side. The gasket I have bought is made of a grey cardboard material. The spacer is hard steel, fairly clean but some tiny pit marks around the water passages.

Am I on the right track if I use this gasket goo, and should it be used between the spacer and the head?

Thx again.

quaddriver
02-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Thx for the prompt response.

I have just returned from an auto spares shop an talked to the resident expert. He mentioned copper spray too. But leaned towards a non hardening black sealant goo to use, especially around the water passages.

I mentioned the spacer plate to him. He was not sure about it. the engineering campany that machined the head said not to use the spacer.

When removing the spacer it had two thin paper gaskets each side. The gasket I have bought is made of a grey cardboard material. The spacer is hard steel, fairly clean but some tiny pit marks around the water passages.

Am I on the right track if I use this gasket goo, and should it be used between the spacer and the head?

Thx again.

Id make sure the spacer is not factory or dealer add - typically they serve 2 purposes: 1) increase torque by effectively lengthening the runners 2) insulate the intake hence fuel system from engine heat soak

that spacer may very well have been put there by a mazda representative

as for head gasket, I have never seen any sealant applicable to head gaskets that stay pliable, and to tel lthe truth, you dont want excess pliability.

hallie
02-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Thx for the info.
Have contacted cheif engineer at Mazda, he has never heard of spacer being fitted by factoy. He recommended contacting genuine Mazda spare parts dealer, i did and the rep had been with Mazda 25 years.

He said spacer not fitted by Mazda and felt it must be there for a reason so put it back with a gasket either side, no goo.

So I have done that.

Thankyou for your help. Time will tell.

Add your comment to this topic!