Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery quirks

Brian_L
02-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Hi all.

I'm new here, and not the biggest car guy (I'm a computer geek :smile: ), but I have been having a strange problem. I'll describe, but you'll have to forgive if some terms sound a little "primal". :smile:

Anyway, I own a 1994 Regal 3.8, and not too long ago, the ABS light kept coming on. The car also started having troubles starting. It often took 10+ tries to get it going. Got the codes checked by a great mechanic, and he told me the reason the ABS light was coming on was low voltage. So after checking some more, he told me the battery was just about dead, and the alternator almost completely seized. So I got both replaced and I thought that was the end of my troubles.

But the next day, as I was driving, the voltage gage just dropped in the red, stayed there for a few seconds, and came back up around 14-15. It did it again a few minutes later. When I started the car again a few minutes later, the voltage gage never went up, stayed in the low red for about 3-4 seconds, then I heard a "cranking" noise (here come the primal terms) and then the gage went up to normal.

When I stop at lights, the gage goes down to about 9-10, and comes right back up when I get going again. I am still having troubles to start the car (often takes 3-4 tries), went to the mechanic again, but of course, the car started just fine every time he tried. He checked the battery, and it's fine, and it charges normally.

A few times now when I try to start the car, the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on when the voltage gage doesn't go up right away. After the cranking noise, the gage goes up, but the light stays on. I restart the car, and everything is just fine. I'll go get the codes read on Monday, but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

raybuick
02-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey Brian, I have the same 94 car 3.8 and had all your similar problems.When the Abs light was coming, they recommended a new alt. and new sensors.Too much so just paid diagnostic. It ended up being the Abs relay in the fuse box by battery. One of the legs had corroded off. With the low voltage,check the condition of your battery cables and pull some fuses out looking for corrosion in the same fuse box. Also with your engine running feel the positive cable that hooks into that nearby fusebox to see if is hot and if it is, the charging system is obstructed. With your car not starting, sounds like a crankshaft sensor problem , maybe camshaft sensor.I had the ignition module changed and the hard starting continued till the crankshaft sensor was changed. Hope this helps.

Brian_L
02-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the help Ray. But today, more signs pointed to a short somewhere. Trying to start the car, it just wouldn't even try, but instead, I would get a fast beeping sound (the same I get if I leave the key in the ignition and open the door, only faster). And turning the ignition to "battery", I would get a drumming sound coming from the fuse box under the hood. So I have an electrical relay or circuit breaker cycling on and off. After letting it rest a few minutes, it started fine.

I need to get it fixed ASAP before the car catches fire.

Brian_L
02-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Well, it was a short, but simply a loose wire and some corrosion between the battery and the fuse box. Something about a "post"? All's well that ends well (let's hope). :smile:

OpenSouls.com
02-22-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm having the same problems. New battery, new alternator. The cables look fine, but it still randomly won't start. One wierd thing - the voltage gauge is all over the place. Lately its been close to red, but goes up and down.

It even rocks back and forth when using the turn signals (like a metronome). I'm not sure what to do, had it at a mechanic, he had it for 2 days and said the electrical system was fine. Of course it started like nothing for him.

I'm |--| close to just getting rid of the damned thing. Its a 94 Regal 3800, 155k miles.

94byuck
02-22-2004, 01:26 PM
I have had the same issue with my 94 regal 3.8 also. I finally got it back up and running...bad issues for about two weeks(was given the wrong starter ugh) replaced it with the right one finally. Replaced the starter because the electrical shop said it was bad, replaced the alternator and the battery. Well, now it will start on the first try most of the time. But, has a new quirk :( sometimes when you turn the ignition to the on position you get nothing (fuel injector doesnt kick in ) odd though if you take out the fuse to the ignition control and try to start the car at the same time you plug it back in ...it starts lol I'm beginning to think the car is possessed :eek: Hope ya get it fixed :) keep tying and something is bound to work LOL

~Angie~

raybuick
02-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Glad to see your rolling again,Angie .Now for OpenSouls, i think the voltmeter jumping when the signals are activated is normal for this car. When your car randomly wont start, is this when you drive it and park it or the first start of the day. My regal started off stalling in motion for no reason to stalling and hard to restart or not restarting after parking it for an hour or less or more till it completely cooled off. Did you ever try the water trick?.

RABarrett
02-27-2004, 10:14 AM
All of these problems sound similar to ground, power or bad connection issues. These vehicles have ground straps connecting the engine, body and frame to each other, allowing all of the accessories to operate together. If one is loose, or corroded, these problems will occur. Food fopr thought. Ray

Add your comment to this topic!