Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can you add factory navigation later?

davidahn
02-07-2004, 02:44 AM
My wife and I really want a G35 sedan with the factory nav, but can't seem to find the exact one we want at a dealer. Can we buy one without and ADD one after the fact? Anyone know if this is possible? We want the factory navigation system because of the cool motorized screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David

NYCXLR8
02-08-2004, 10:30 PM
i have been looking for the same answer but on the coupe. I have a 2004 coupe that had everything I wanted but didnt have the Nav kit. I was hoping to get it (if i dont spend the 2k on performance mods that is) :)

Someone help us out!

eclipsetog366mt
02-08-2004, 10:48 PM
From what I was told by a dealer in PA was that you cannot add the factory nav to the car later. They have to put in an aftermarket system which is horrible. That is why I did a little more research to find one w/nav. Look at dealerships a little further away. I was able to find a 6 speed coupe w/nav in 1 hour and I was able to get a better price than my local dealer. I was able to get $1550.00 off MSRP. One last option is that you could ask a car stereo place.

davidahn
02-09-2004, 11:55 PM
You'd think it would be easier to replace it... doesn't anyone blow or damage the nav system now and then, and if so, shouldn't there be a replacement part?

I've heard that you'd have to replace the center stack of the dash. But do you know anyone who's ripping those out to sell? I guess from a junkyard if someone totaled one with nav but the nav is spared... what are the odds? :cwm27:

David

Infinitipartsguy
03-05-2004, 01:10 AM
I am a parts manager at a dealership and I have almost tens years infiniti experience. I can answer your question about adding factory Nav after the purchase. You can but the price tag is outrageous ($4500.) The parts sold seperately are so expensive it's not worth it. The other problem is the dealer doesn't really know what to sell you because Infiniti makes it extremely hard to know what parts are standard (wiring harness) and what parts need to be added.

JOS42574
03-16-2004, 03:06 PM
You can not add a factory installed DVD navigation system after you have already purchased the vahicle and are driving it.

davidahn
03-17-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, the factory vs aftermarket navigation decision is tough. We went factory because of the popup screen (would be cooler if motorized rather than spring-actuated). But it's a $5000 option ($2000 for nav, $3000 for the REQUIRED premium package), which is a bit hard to swallow, since OUR only incentive to get the premium pkg was 1) dual-zone climate control (otherwise it's still automatic, just single-zone), 2) sunroof, and 3) homelink transmitter. Is that worth $3K? Not to us. Still, we had to have the nav, and it's a lifesaver; I can't tell you how much we rely on the nav system.

Still, advantages to an aftermarket nav (Kenwood looks like the best setup, though Pioneer's units physically look better): TOUCHSCREEN interface (that joystick is a freaking pain in the butt to enter addresses on); save $3000 on the premium package; better audio options.

David

Add your comment to this topic!