Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The engine?

VW_Redliner
12-30-2001, 01:08 PM
Hey does anybody have an engine bio? I want to see the specs this TT. I know it's twin turbo that's an obvious but I don't know much about the TT.

kokanee
01-24-2002, 10:56 PM
no, single turbo...

It's very similar to the 1.8T offered by VW in the GTI/turbo beetle, with base output around 180, or optional 225hp. the 225 is accomplished with a bigger turbo, and another intercooler. I have a TT on order now, should be in early april.

you have a jetta? 2.0 or vr6? I built a jetta 2.0 for a friend's 85 gti last year. Those engines seem to last forever. Later,

K-

midn12ght
02-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by VW_Redliner
Hey does anybody have an engine bio? I want to see the specs this TT. I know it's twin turbo that's an obvious but I don't know much about the TT.

TT does not stand for "twin turbo". like the former said, it is a single turbo, 5V engine. depending on which you get: 180hp or 225hp, the specs will vary. the 2 T's stand for tourist trophy.

2002 180TTQC BB
(bone stock)

Tom_S8
02-12-2002, 02:29 AM
Also with the 225 hp variant it has almost endless tuning possibilietes , you can get like another 100hp with simple mods such as electronics plus intake and exhaust , and with a little effort even numbers like 500 hp are possible... companys like mtm offer 425hp conversions with warranty... It's a great engine , it's a shame IMO that VW puts it in all their cars , and in seats and skodas...:rolleyes:

Chris
02-12-2002, 12:49 PM
Tiss a good engine. And they are bullet-proof at 350hp, then you can only go up:D A better choice than the VR6, IMO (but that can be taken to 500hp to, with Audi parts!!)

Cbass
02-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Yeah, great engines. Can someone explain to me how they mount them in quattros? Do they put them in any rear drive cars at all? I really need a 1.8t for a reardrive set up.

Tom_S8
02-26-2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Cbass
Yeah, great engines. Can someone explain to me how they mount them in quattros? Do they put them in any rear drive cars at all? I really need a 1.8t for a reardrive set up.

1.8Ts are mounted horizontaly (at least in TTs), so i don't think it'll be that easy to make them RWD... I don't know my V8 is mounted vertical , but then it's only offered as quattro (4WD)... I haven't seen any RWD cars with 1.8T because the whole volkswagen gruop doesn't make any RWD cars (i don't put bentley in here , they're RWD and they're in VW group , but it's a different story and they aren't powered by 1.8T , thank god...)

Cbass
02-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Thought so. That's a right shame, I think a 1.8 in a 924 would be quite nice. It'd be lighter too.

So whats wrong with 1.8s in Skodas and Seats? They're a lot cheaper to cut apart at scrap yards than Audis. Then again, I don't have to think about that, because I live in Canada, and we don't have any of those.

Or most of the worlds nice performance cars for that matter.
But we've got mustangs and camaros. whoo. yeah. :o

quattroadvantage
10-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kokanee
no, single turbo...

It's very similar to the 1.8T offered by VW in the GTI/turbo beetle, with base output around 180, or optional 225hp. the 225 is accomplished with a bigger turbo, and another intercooler. I have a TT on order now, should be in early april.

you have a jetta? 2.0 or vr6? I built a jetta 2.0 for a friend's 85 gti last year. Those engines seem to last forever. Later,

K-

Also the 225 has differnt head, pistons etc.

clived
08-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Tom_S8
Also with the 225 hp variant it has almost endless tuning possibilietes , you can get like another 100hp with simple mods such as electronics plus intake and exhaust ,

Hmmm... really? I've got a MY2002 TT225 that I've got up to 278bhp & 307 ft lb of torque using roughly the mods you've outlined below. I think you'll find that getting to 325 (225 plus your 100) needs a bigger turbo coversion.

Clive

BleuAudiTT
12-26-2003, 11:53 AM
does anyone know much about Remus exhausts? I just ordered there cat-back for my 2001 Fwd TT and I was wondering if I made the right choice.

Chris
12-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Hmmm... really? I've got a MY2002 TT225 that I've got up to 278bhp & 307 ft lb of torque using roughly the mods you've outlined below. I think you'll find that getting to 325 (225 plus your 100) needs a bigger turbo coversion.

Clive

Is that at the wheels? If so, that would probably be about 320 or so hp at the engine...Id expect a stock TT with 225hp to get about 180-190 at the wheels.

clived
12-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Chris, no it's not at the wheels....

Take a look at http://hometown.aol.com/icl123/interpro2003.html for some of our results.

Cheers, Clive

Chris
12-30-2003, 06:03 PM
so, your 278hp is *easily* over 300hp at the engine; since manufactures take power measurements from the engine, its very hard to directly compare.
The only way is to have your car on a dyno when new. That way you can judge the power improvements.
This is why lighter wheels and drivetrain components can increase power to the wheels; doesnt affect power at the engine, but, lets more power get to the ground.
Hopefully someday all published hp figures will have to be from the wheels; its much more indicitive of real world performance.

clived
01-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Chris, no.

The rolling road calculates transmission loss as part of the cycle. I can assure you that as much as I'd like it to be, my car isn't giving out over 300bhp at the engine. No offence, but having spend two years learning about and executing mods on my enginge, and working with two of the top tuning VAG 1.8T tuning companies in the UK on the car, I think I know what my graphs represent!

Cheers, Clive

nismodriver
03-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Tiss a good engine. And they are bullet-proof at 350hp, then you can only go up:D A better choice than the VR6, IMO (but that can be taken to 500hp to, with Audi parts!!)

Are you saying that the 225 tt can be taken to 500 hp on audi parts??? what would one have to purchase to accomplish such a thing? or to even get 450 hp

clived
03-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Nismo, although the question isn't aimed at me, I do have an answer. No.

Audi don't make rods for the 1.8t that are 100% safe beyond 350bhp. Or a single turbo that will flow enough air for 450bhp.

To achieve this sort of power in any useable form, you'd be looking at a 2l bottom end conversion and a BIG turbo upgrade, with all the associated components - exhaust manifold with seperate wastegate, uprated injectors and fuel pressure regulator, full exhaust system with lower density cats, frount mounted intercooler, injectors, high flow air filter, porting the cylinder head, oil cooler for engine and Haldex. And then you might need to stengthen the gearbox. Not cheap :-) Oh, and then you need to get the whole thing mapped.

Since I last posted I've had the MTM big turbo conversion fitted to my TT, so am now running approx 340bhp (engine, not wheels ;-) ) - it's a lot of fun, and I plan to get towards 400 - likey 370-380 by changing the intake manifold to Dahlback, boring the engine to 1.9 and doing some head work. To go beyond that it would need a bigger turbo, which would mean less low down torque and therefore poorer day to day driveability. The the strip, I intend to add a small (25 maybe) shot of nitrous to help the turbo spin up quicker and make a theoretical 420ish bhp - not that I'd plan to have the nitrous running high enough in the rev range to ever really see that. The low down torque would be nice though.

Cheers, Clive

Add your comment to this topic!