Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 g' am won't start security light

G'dup am
02-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hello all I'm a new member to this forum. This is a great place to learn about my car. I have a 1999 Grand am. It has the security light problem. If I wait 10 to 15 minutes the car will start with out any problems. This problem seems to happen on the coldest days. Reading thru the previous post I've come to realize that my problem is the passlock 2 module. I have called and talked to Pontiac dlr service(1-800-762-2737). They told me to just keep on bringing my car in and paying the 250 dollar diagnose fee. This is a known gm problem that they want fix. Please if you read this post call gm and complain as well maybe if enough people call we can get a recall started.

silvergagt04
02-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Hello all I'm a new member to this forum. This is a great place to learn about my car. I have a 1999 Grand am. It has the security light problem. If I wait 10 to 15 minutes the car will start with out any problems. This problem seems to happen on the coldest days. Reading thru the previous post I've come to realize that my problem is the passlock 2 module. I have called and talked to Pontiac dlr service(1-800-762-2737). They told me to just keep on bringing my car in and paying the 250 dollar diagnose fee. This is a known gm problem that they want fix. Please if you read this post call gm and complain as well maybe if enough people call we can get a recall started.
They will not do a recall on it. The lock cylinder is about $175. I think it pays about 1.5 hours to install. GM will not pay for that on a recall.

G'dup am
02-06-2004, 07:35 PM
So is it the pass lock 2 module or the lock cylinder? Also would the 2 be the same piece? How do I get the lock cycnlinder out of my car? Sorry for all the questions I just want to fix this and be done with it. I do most of the repairs to my cars myself, unless it's something enternal to the engine.

ddage01
02-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Is is the passlock module. The old one allows for a range of resitance, where as the new ones is variable.

I had a new one installed for $60 CDN and it starts like a charm every time.I had this done at a stereo/alarm shop, probably cheaper than a GM dealer.
It is not the lock cylinder

'97 SE

h8thiscar
03-24-2004, 04:06 PM
I also have this problem with the Security system leaving me stranded in a snowstorm!. This started last winter. In the spring, I replaced a defective fan control (resistor) module and the problem went away.... until now!

It has now returned with a vengeance and prevents the car from starting about 40% of the time. Is there ANY way to disable this money-grabbing GM system permanently? I am about ready to set fire to this piece of crap car and I will be damned if I give GM another dime to "investigate". I want to totally and permanently disable this security system.... is this possible? if so, HOW???

Any help would be appreciated.

I WILL NEVER EVER EVER buy another GM product EVER!!!!!!!!!!

dzhali
11-25-2004, 04:50 PM
I found out simple way to disable the passlock1 prmanently. I did it on my Cavalier 96 and it works so far.
You can use it if ocasionally you are still able to start your car. All you need to do is to start the car (with your semidefective passlock sensor), and then disconnect the three wires plug (wires that run from the lock cylinder to the instrument panel) from the instrument panel while engine is running.
Engine will start the next time without any passlock "authorization", but "theft system'" light will stay on. If you do not like it, you can remove LED from the instrument cluster board.
I am not shure if the disablement will work after battery gets disconnected. Possible, that you may repeat it all over.

Forkliftguy
11-25-2004, 06:06 PM
'96 cavalier used passlok II, same as the GA, only GA adopted it in '99, wheras the cavalier/sunfire adopted it when the J-body went into it's next generation body style in '95 because cavalier/sunbirds were one of the top stolen cars in North America.

The biggest problem with the passlok module in the N-body platform (GA, Malibu, etc.) IS THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. There is an easy way to bypass it electronically, unfortunately, I am not about to post this info on here unless the moderators give me an "Ok" to do so. Plus it leaves your vehicle open to being hotwired easily (although passlok would still be active, it would no longer be protecting the car from this).

Marc

h8thiscar
11-26-2004, 07:28 AM
'96 cavalier used passlok II, same as the GA, only GA adopted it in '99, wheras the cavalier/sunfire adopted it when the J-body went into it's next generation body style in '95 because cavalier/sunbirds were one of the top stolen cars in North America.

The biggest problem with the passlok module in the N-body platform (GA, Malibu, etc.) IS THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. There is an easy way to bypass it electronically, unfortunately, I am not about to post this info on here unless the moderators give me an "Ok" to do so. Plus it leaves your vehicle open to being hotwired easily (although passlok would still be active, it would no longer be protecting the car from this).

Marc

I Finally gave up on trying to find a solution to this problem. I caved in and bought a new ignition cylinder and replaced it myself. I seem to be free of this problem now but I wont believe it is fixed for good until I get rid of the car.

When I bought the new cylinder, I had GM key it according to my VIN #. WHen they tried my key in the cylinder the key would not turn. After about 30 minutes of screwing about, they looked at my ORIGINAL GM KEY and found that the key code associated with my VIN in the GM database is incorrect!!! Top marks for "quality products" GM

Forkliftguy
11-27-2004, 11:06 AM
I think GM is playing "catch up" again. There Technology was lagging behind and they rushed to be innovators of the automotive market again, leaving behind a trail of disaster. Kind of like they did with the Fiero wanting it to hit the market before the MR2 in the mid 80's. Too busy trying to reach deadlines, not careing about quality.

bouches
02-03-2005, 07:27 AM
I had the same problem and they replaced (under extended warranty), the fuel pump, a few sensors, did an engine flush and then after about 6 visits to the dealership and very angry, they finally replaced the passlock and that seemed to fix the problem so far.

Add your comment to this topic!