Car jerks when coasting

1danec
02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Brand new passat wagon glx 4motion that when coasting to a stop feels like the engine engages and bolts forward. is this a transmission problem or normal for passats? occasionally feels like getting bumped from behind....

xjoeharperx
02-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Has the dealer checked this out??

MrHans
02-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Brand new passat wagon glx 4motion that when coasting to a stop feels like the engine engages and bolts forward. is this a transmission problem or normal for passats? occasionally feels like getting bumped from behind....
cold weather? hot weather? was it warmed up? after hours in heavy traffic? is it a stick? tiptronic? did it feel like it was downshifting when the "event" happened? should be smooth, go right to your dealer and get a loaner same make and model and see if it goes on in same type vehicle and situation.

mbz72
02-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Hello,

the same thing happens with my Brand new passat wagon glx 4motion Triptronic V6. It does not matter if it is cold/warm long drive short drive etc.

I have checked with the dealer and they say its OK, but I do not think so. I will have this checked out by another dealer soon, if no change occurs.

ck

MrHans
02-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Hello,

the same thing happens with my Brand new passat wagon glx 4motion Triptronic V6. It does not matter if it is cold/warm long drive short drive etc.

I have checked with the dealer and they say its OK, but I do not think so. I will have this checked out by another dealer soon, if no change occurs.

ck
hmmm, if this is a reproduceable ailment, take your salesman or mechanic for a ride to show them the problem in person. If they dont give you the answer you're loooking for after that, contact higher ups via the VW Contact list. (http://www.vw.com/VwSFB/index) (scroll down for customer care.) :)

1danec
02-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Has the dealer checked this out??

v6 tiptronic, happens whether warmed up or not.
have not yet been to dealer but plan to go.
sounds like someone else has same problem and the dealer said it was normal.
this happens intermittently and i can't figure out what provokes it- it feels like "popping the clutch"- just a jolt forward. happens usually when coasting to a stop at around 5-15 mph, but sometimes happens when braking, also in that same speed window.
thanks for all the responses.

BVCSR
03-02-2004, 08:29 PM
I am having the same problem! I have a 2004 GLX V6 with Tiptronic (whatever the hell that is). It feels exactly as if someone has hit you gently from the rear. The first time it happened I thought my brakes slipped and the car wasn't going to stop.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and was told Volkswagen is aware of the problem. It is a transmission software problem that is making the car downshift improperly. Here's the really bad news: They don't have a fix for it at this point in time. Nice, huh?!

Personally I'm speaking to a lawyer.

Good luck.

Dan Dumont
03-09-2004, 11:05 AM
I have a 2004 Passat V6, 4 motion and I'm having the same problem. I have had the car to the dealer 2 times. All they say is that there is no fix for the problem at this time. They say its a software problem, that causes the transmission to search for a gear, causing the transmission to go into neutral and then slam into a gear. When slowing down, (as for a red light or to turn a corner) and then step on the gas again you get a serious jolt. The dealer says VW is working on this problem, but they also told us this problem has existed for about 3 years? My concern is the transmission will be damaged by this, and it is unacceptable for a car of this class to perform this way. I'm going to call the BBB listed in the owner manual to see if they can help me . If not I will be using the "Lemon Law" to make the dealer take the car back. Has any one gone through this process yet? If so how did it go? I have 2000 miles on the car and bought it Dec. 23, 03.

mira8964
03-27-2004, 07:14 PM
I have a 2004 Passat GLX with triptronic transmission. There is no pattern to the "bump" into 1st gear. Sometimes quite hard. Dealer says it will go away at about 8,000 miles and it is normal. This really spoils and otherwise very nice automibile. My first and probably last VW if they do not offer a fix soon.

mira8964
03-27-2004, 07:39 PM
v6 tiptronic, happens whether warmed up or not.
have not yet been to dealer but plan to go.
sounds like someone else has same problem and the dealer said it was normal.
this happens intermittently and i can't figure out what provokes it- it feels like "popping the clutch"- just a jolt forward. happens usually when coasting to a stop at around 5-15 mph, but sometimes happens when braking, also in that same speed window.
thanks for all the responses.

My 2004 Passat GLX acts the same way. My wife and I both tried to fiqure out what provokes the bump. We now conclude after 4,000 miles that there is no pattern. My question is how can the manufacturer release a car with this defect to the marketplace? I miss my old Accura TL.

mapbabe
03-29-2004, 09:03 AM
I too have the same car with the same problem. I find that it does it more often when the transmission fluid has heated up, say after driving 10 miles and when the weather is warmer. I went to VW to test drive my car with the repair manager and of course it wouldn't do it as it's an intermittent problem. I also found 4 other cars with this problem on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web page. One person said that they replaced the transmission control module and it fixed it and another said they replaced that and the accelerator pedal computer chip and it made the problem worse. This is my second new Passat in a year as my first was a lemon. It took 5 months of fighting with VW to get a new one and now this one has this problem, which is different than all the previous problems. No more VW's for me.

mira8964
03-29-2004, 02:31 PM
I too have the same car with the same problem. I find that it does it more often when the transmission fluid has heated up, say after driving 10 miles and when the weather is warmer. I went to VW to test drive my car with the repair manager and of course it wouldn't do it as it's an intermittent problem. I also found 4 other cars with this problem on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web page. One person said that they replaced the transmission control module and it fixed it and another said they replaced that and the accelerator pedal computer chip and it made the problem worse. This is my second new Passat in a year as my first was a lemon. It took 5 months of fighting with VW to get a new one and now this one has this problem, which is different than all the previous problems. No more VW's for me.

mapbabe - I feel very strongly that I was missled by VW and the Dealership with my 2004 Passat GLX purchase. I have e-mailed VW and written VW. I would love a fix, but it does not sound hopefull. I'm going do what it takes force VW into a re-purchase under our state laws. By the way, I think the shifting is better with cold t-fluid as you dessribed. My dealer says 8,500 miles and the problem will go away. Take care.

mapbabe
03-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Check out this web page... there are plenty more of us out there.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1214961&cmd=addnotify

There are more folks talking about this on the same site under "Mystery Transmission Clunk"

Frankly it sounds like a case for a class action law suit. Something has to be done. Any thoughts?

mira8964
03-31-2004, 09:27 AM

There are more folks talking about this on the same site under "Mystery Transmission Clunk"

Frankly it sounds like a case for a class action law suit. Something has to be done. Any thoughts?

I checked out the web page. Seems like the most folks think its the 4-motion causing the problem. Its not. My 2004 GLX is not all wheel drive but is experiencing the same "bumping" problem when braking to a stop.

Check out www.petitiononline.com/acura/petition.html as an idea to push VW into solving the problem. Maybe someone out there has the knowledge to set up a similar petition for VW Transmission problems.
My 2001 Acura TL Trany blew @ 28,000 miles. Thats why we bought the 2004 Passat.

I contacted VW of America Yesterday. I placed my complaint and asked for a second opinion from another dealer. (My first dealer says the bumping/lurching is normal and should go away). I am meeting with the 2nd dealer service manager today.

mira8964
05-01-2004, 05:13 AM
I checked out the web page. Seems like the most folks think its the 4-motion causing the problem. Its not. My 2004 GLX is not all wheel drive but is experiencing the same "bumping" problem when braking to a stop.

Check out www.petitiononline.com/acura/petition.html as an idea to push VW into solving the problem. Maybe someone out there has the knowledge to set up a similar petition for VW Transmission problems.
My 2001 Acura TL Trany blew @ 28,000 miles. Thats why we bought the 2004 Passat.

I contacted VW of America Yesterday. I placed my complaint and asked for a second opinion from another dealer. (My first dealer says the bumping/lurching is normal and should go away). I am meeting with the 2nd dealer service manager today.

Update 5/1/04
I am picking up our 2004 Passat GLX from the dealership this morning. The dealership reluctantly replaced the Transmission Control Module (TCM). This a temporrary fix (bandaid) for lack of a better term. My dealer said to expect the bumping to return in about 2,000 miles. VW does not have a permanent fix at this time. Dealer said he hoped the fix would be in before the bumping starts again.

The permanent tip/fix software release date is a grey area for the dealership. VW will not commit to a firm date, only stated (through my dealer rep) that they are well aware of the problem and are finalizing the permanent fix.

For all VW tiptronic owners with this bumping/lurching problem when coasting to a stop > Pressure your dealerhip for a firm date on the sofware fix. We need our cars fixed now!

EHillinger
05-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I have a 2003 Passat GLX 4Motion wagon with the type of symptoms similar to what you are describing. After being told that it just works that way, I pointed my dealer to this thread and others like it, and I just received the following message"
". . . we will certainly take another look at your transmission, but my suspicion is that there may be nothing for us to do at this time. This transmission concern is a common one for the Passat -- I would say that we get at least one complaint about it per day. VW has issued some software upgrades for the Transmission Control Module to try and address it -- we will check and see if your car has the most current software. Unforutnately these software upgrades have yet to solve the issue completely, although they have been successful in reducing the rate of occurrence. VW is well aware of the problem and the level of frustration it can create -- they are working on further software upgrades to attempt to resolve it completely."

------------------
Ellis Hillinger
Seattle WA

mira8964
05-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Update 5/1/04
I am picking up our 2004 Passat GLX from the dealership this morning. The dealership reluctantly replaced the Transmission Control Module (TCM). This a temporrary fix (bandaid) for lack of a better term. My dealer said to expect the bumping to return in about 2,000 miles. VW does not have a permanent fix at this time. Dealer said he hoped the fix would be in before the bumping starts again.

The permanent tip/fix software release date is a grey area for the dealership. VW will not commit to a firm date, only stated (through my dealer rep) that they are well aware of the problem and are finalizing the permanent fix.

For all VW tiptronic owners with this bumping/lurching problem when coasting to a stop > Pressure your dealerhip for a firm date on the sofware fix. We need our cars fixed now!

The dealer replaced the TCM (Transmission Control Module) this past Friday. The bumping/lurching went away. The car downshifts completely normal with no bump whatsoever. Bad news > my dealer said the new TCM will start doing the same thing after about 2000 miles. I'll bring it back for a new module again when this happens until the permanent fix is in.

VW is working on the permanent fix, but obviously not working hard enough. My dealer says the permanent fix could be 2days or 2months away, VW would not say.

Pressure your dealer to install a new TCM. CAll VW customer care and complain that VW is not working fast enought on the tip/fix.

Good luck

mira8964
05-03-2004, 04:46 PM
I have a 2003 Passat GLX 4Motion wagon with the type of symptoms similar to what you are describing. After being told that it just works that way, I pointed my dealer to this thread and others like it, and I just received the following message"
". . . we will certainly take another look at your transmission, but my suspicion is that there may be nothing for us to do at this time. This transmission concern is a common one for the Passat -- I would say that we get at least one complaint about it per day. VW has issued some software upgrades for the Transmission Control Module to try and address it -- we will check and see if your car has the most current software. Unforutnately these software upgrades have yet to solve the issue completely, although they have been successful in reducing the rate of occurrence. VW is well aware of the problem and the level of frustration it can create -- they are working on further software upgrades to attempt to resolve it completely."

------------------
Ellis Hillinger
Seattle WA

Read my reply below. I thought I posted to you but ended up on my own posting.

bartbg
05-18-2004, 09:59 AM

I would be the first to join the lawsuit. Are there any lawyers in the house? I have a 2004 Passat GLX 4-motion with the same damn clanking problem. In traffic it can be very severe and does in fact feel like you are getting bumped from behind. The transmission goes from 1st to Neutral and Slams into 2nd. And they say it is not doing anything to the transmission. My dealer is a real SOB and is telling me this is "normal" and is due to the sporty transmission. It is a total crock -- let's do something about it. This problem started the first week I owned the car.

:banghead:

SwagThing
07-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I am here to tell you that this problem does NOT go away after 8000 miles. I have about 15,000 miles on the car (2004 Passat GLX Tiptronic), and it is still clunking away when coming to a stop. On my first visit to the service department they told me it was electrical and would be fine after my ABS light (which had mysteriously turned on) was readjusted. Well, it gave me a nice jolt on my very first stop light out of the dealership.

I am extremely upset. I was so looking forward to this vehicle--and I love it except for this one issue. Please advise me on what you all have done! I am going to bring the car back in, but after reading your horror stories I am certain it will do no good.

-Missing my old Honda in VA

simoneves
07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
I have a 2003 4motion wagon, which suffered from the "rear-ended" clunk three or four times when it was young, but it has not happened since (now 19 months old, 15700 miles). It still changes jerkily at times, however, particularly as you slow to a halt.

My wife's friend has a 2004 model, which suffered from the clunk much worse, and last week they had the TCM software update installed, which has apparently fixed the problem and also made their transmission smoother to shift at any speed.

The dealer (the same one) claims that the fix they have in now is only for 2004 cars, and is not compatible with ours, but the implication from earlier posts in this thread (and others on other forums) is that it works on older cars too.

Anyone out there with a 2003 that's had the fix successfully?

Also, is it a flash update done through the diagnostic port, or does it actually involve changing the hardware (again, as implied by earlier posts)?

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

bartbg
11-12-2004, 12:01 PM
I would be the first to join the lawsuit. Are there any lawyers in the house? I have a 2004 Passat GLX 4-motion with the same damn clanking problem. In traffic it can be very severe and does in fact feel like you are getting bumped from behind. The transmission goes from 1st to Neutral and Slams into 2nd. And they say it is not doing anything to the transmission. My dealer is a real SOB and is telling me this is "normal" and is due to the sporty transmission. It is a total crock -- let's do something about it. This problem started the first week I owned the car.

:banghead:

Also, I have since had the TCM replaced, which worked great for 3 days!!! Now it's back to the same old bumping. I will being following my state's lemon laws now...What a Pain. I will never buy VW again nor would I be happy with a new Passat, this happens to all the VW Passats with 4-Motion. There was a recent CNN article ranking the 2004 Passat 4-Motion as the car with the most customer complaints.

1danec
11-12-2004, 03:39 PM
the TCM fix worked for me, but I have only put about 2000 miles since the fix 5 months ago

dcosentino
01-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I am experiencing the same things w/ my new 2004 passat v6 - i feel a jolt just before i stop- took to dealer with no results - don't know what to do?

VWinCA
01-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I am experiencing the same things w/ my new 2004 passat v6 - i feel a jolt just before i stop- took to dealer with no results - don't know what to do?

I have a 2004 Passat v6 with about 4k miles. Just took it to the dealer yesterday (1/20/05) to resolve the "harsh downshift / bumping issue." They were well aware of the issue and ended up re-programming the TCM. The fix code that they referenced on the service paperwork is:
FC: 3730400001
Perhaps this references the new software fix somehow?

In any case, the new software has definitely resolved the problem for now.

Some folks say that they have had the issue return but those are older posts so maybe it wasn't the same fix. Is the transmission "adaptive" in nature? Does it make adjustments to its own shifting patterns over time based on experience? Don't know but I will monitor over time.

Get the fix. I can say for sure that it works at least in the short run.

veedubmechanic
01-22-2005, 05:17 PM
For all you people having the jerking problem when coming to a stop or slowing down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS AN UPDATE FOR ALL 2004 PASSAT V6 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION cars with this problem. VW will do a free update on the TCM that fixes this problem. ALL VW dealers should have an update cd that fixes this. There is a technical bulletin for this.

The new TCM has the new updated software that the update cd does.

VWinCA
01-22-2005, 06:30 PM
For all you people having the jerking problem when coming to a stop or slowing down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS AN UPDATE FOR ALL 2004 PASSAT V6 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION cars with this problem. VW will do a free update on the TCM that fixes this problem. ALL VW dealers should have an update cd that fixes this. There is a technical bulletin for this.

The new TCM has the new updated software that the update cd does.

Hey Veedubmechanic...

Do you know if the TCM software update is tied into the fuel gauge / trip computer in some way? Seems like since my update the other day, the trip computer on my v6 GLX has become much more accurate too.

Before, the fuel indicator would show "empty" and the trip computer would show "0" miles to empty but the fuel tank would only fill with about 13 gallons (its capacity is supposedly 16.4 gallons). Since the TCM update, it seems like the "miles to empty" calculations have become more generous.

Perhaps it's just my imagination...

veedubmechanic
01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
If i remember correctly it just changes the shift pattern and how long the solenoid valves open. I dont think it has anything to do with the fuel guage. Also it has a miles to empty set to a level where you still have fuel left for those people who like to drive to empty.

Add your comment to this topic!