Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Ulta Supercharger

CrispyJo
02-05-2004, 11:00 PM
The supercharger on my 92 Ultra has developed a rattle. The quote to fix this made me a little dizzy. I searched the web and found PSE superchargers at a more reasonable price with a "lifetime warranty". Has anyone had any dealings with PSE Superchargers? Also I noticed another posting where someone wanted to know about changing the oil in their supercharger. (news to me, I didn't know you could change the oil in them.) The 92 and 93 Park Ave Ultra use an Eaton M-62a. How do you change the oil in that??
Thanks, CrispyJo

vinceleto
02-06-2004, 03:12 PM
You don't change the oil you top it of. You should see a allen key screw on your supercharger, thats the resivor. If it's empty you probably want to use synthetic lite weight oil. It should not be empty and you should be careful when you check this that the area is very clean so that when you remove the screw-bolt no dirt etc. gets into the resivoir. That could be bad.

It probably makes alot of noise. The bearings are shot on the charger.
a rebuilt on is about 700-900 bucks plus finding someone to install.
At which point you probably should change the harmonic balancer otherwise known as the main pully. Thats probably why your subercharger went.

Not your fault but the lasy ass's at GM, for designing and building a shit product. In case your wondering I've been through this with a 95 park ave.

Good luck and let me know if this helps

tman
02-08-2004, 05:15 PM
No, you are wrong. Please Ignore vinceleto's post.

The supercharger oil can be changed using a small turkey baster to siphon the old oil out into a n empty container, and then pouring in new GM manufactured Supercharger oil. If you use anything else, you will have damage to your sc and engine.

Vinceleto, if you are only going to disrespect GM, and Buicks, no matter your opinion towards either of them, I'm going to have to ask you to never return to the Buick forums. I have opinions about other car manufacturers, but I dont say them in those forums, because it only starts trouble.

CrispyJo
02-10-2004, 04:03 PM
I did not get a responce as to anyone having dealings with PSE so I took a chance and ordered one. It arrived today and appears to be in new condition. I now see where the fill port is located. Being beween the nosecone and the firewall, under the wireing looms makes it a bit difficult to see. I wonder if 120K miles could have ran it out of oil and then cause the failure? Other owners I have talked to say they have never had one go bad...they run forever. I'll keep you posted as to any problems changing this out.
Crispyjo

vinceleto
02-12-2004, 12:35 PM
No, you are wrong. Please Ignore vinceleto's post.

The supercharger oil can be changed using a small turkey baster to siphon the old oil out into a n empty container, and then pouring in new GM manufactured Supercharger oil. If you use anything else, you will have damage to your sc and engine.

Vinceleto, if you are only going to disrespect GM, and Buicks, no matter your opinion towards either of them, I'm going to have to ask you to never return to the Buick forums. I have opinions about other car manufacturers, but I dont say them in those forums, because it only starts trouble.

Ok Mr. Moderator your right I may be wrong but not totally. The reason I would'nt recomend changing the supercharger oil is because you can do more damage by changing it if your not 100% careful and never done it before. If you get some dirt or crud into the supercharger with your new oil it could be worse than just keeping the old oil in and not touching the thing.

Further if it already makes noise there is a problem that the oil "unless there is none at all" won't fix. The reason in my opinion the Charger goes
is stated in my last reply for reasons I already stated which you do not aprove of so for that I appologize and will not bad mouth GM anymore on this forum.

Good luck,

tman
02-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Lets settle this. I did not intend to upset you, and for that, I'm sorry. However, I was in the wrong for, I belive this statement, "No, you are wrong. Please Ignore vinceleto's post." That was uncalled for by me, and I should have found a nicer way to say it.

As for the thread poster, he seemed of average, or above intelligence, and most likely knows that dirt will harm an engine. Its not really a difficult task to use a turkey baster, unless he has a problem with his motor skills.(no pun intended :) )

vinceleto, truce?

KEVINS800
02-17-2004, 07:03 PM
IF YOU NEED A REBUILT CHARGER LET ME KNOW, I BOUGHT SOME FROM A GUY AND PAID 450.00 AND THAT INCLUDED SHIPPING, GASKETS THE WHOLE WORKS! EMAIL AND I'LL TRY AND GET THAT NUMBER! KEVINS800@YAHOO.COM

CrispyJo
02-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Thank you Kevins 800. I had already ordered a rebuilt supercharger from PSE Superchargers ((877) 349-0790). The cost was about $600 with a lifetime warranty. The installation took about 6 hours, but then I am not a professional. I also changed the "o" rings on the injectors while they were easy to get at. The boost is currently at about 7 pounds. It seems to have a lot more power than I remember. Is this excessive boost for my '92 ? I am at 5,000 ft. (if that matters). It will be interesting to see what change in fuel economy occurs. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the input on the oil for the supercharger.

Rivet
02-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Vince I was interested in what you had suggested as a possible cause of the supercharger failure. I ask, how may the Harmonic Balancer be associated with this failure? Vibration transmitted via belt to SC?

CrispyJo
03-02-2004, 11:40 PM
I have now ran a tank of gas through it and am getting almost 28 mile per gallon. (27.85 mpg). This was about 50/50 city and highway. A friend who was helping me read what Vince had to say about the Harmonic Balancer. I will not share what he said about Vince's theory.

vinceleto
03-08-2004, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rivet]Vince I was interested in what you had suggested as a possible cause of the supercharger failure. I ask, how may the Harmonic Balancer be associated with this failure? Vibration transmitted via belt to SC?[/QUOTE

I know the balancer goes on this engine more than others. Since it's supercharged it's a bigger problem. That belt does transmit vibration especially at speeds. In my opinion the bearings in the charger wear out
causing the noise. Eventually it can cease and snap your belt leaving you stranded.

shmiley
10-18-2004, 11:11 AM
just to let you guys know what I found out about the superchargers in the gm 3.8 is that there is a plastic coupler between the pulley and the blower rotors.My supercharger sounded like it was chewing on rocks.I thought bearings or something like that were failing inside, but when I pulled the nose off ,that coupler was worn out.I found a replacement online for 40 bucks with oil and shipping. A lot better than the 600 I saw for a rebuilt sc.Funny thing is, now the harmonic balancer is banging like crazy,.Isee you guys talking about the balancer possibly causing problems with the sc.Sounds pretty reasonable to me.If the balancer is wabbling I could see it wallering the holes on that coupler making it rattle.I've been driving the car for the past few days broke .But I think I'll stop.I dont feel like blowing another 40 bucks on the supercharger and whatever the balancer is going to cost me.By the way that coupler is not available through gm.A place called magnuson out in CA sells an overhauled nose with the coupler for 300.And the only place I could find that coupler by itself was at a place called zz performance.They're online.As for magnuson call a gm dealer parts or service dept . for the number.

tman
10-18-2004, 02:35 PM
shmiley- zzperformance is a very good website for SC 3800 parts. As for your problem, if the SC belt does not run any accessories, it's safe to remove the belt, so the harmonic balencer cannot rioun another coupler.

deadring
10-18-2004, 08:31 PM
ok,

crispyjo>well from what i've seen here so far, Tman has it right about the turkey basket thing, i asked around and he explained it to me the right way.. which i did with success... the oil is 4$ CDN here a the buick dealer and i DID change it and it went very well..

shmiley>very true, there is a plastic coupler, it's round and has 6 holes.. 3 for the shaft going to the belt side( sorry i dunno how to say it in english) and the other for the two gears going to the impellers... and yes it cost about 40$ online as i saw one on EBAY...

as for the bearing in the SC i heard (someone comfirm this) from a guy on my block who does some car tuning/ fixing in his garage which is very competent from what i saw ( he has a 71 chevelle SS with a 396 and a beauty at that) and he has a 1994 bonnie SSEi and he rebuilt he SC himself and said it was not that expensive.. the bearings are very common....anyway, when mine goes, he'll be the one doin' it.. :)

here is a link to a page where there is a eaton m90 SC dissasembeled.

http://www.thepontiacgtppage.com/m90.html

you will see where that little platic coupler goes.. and the rest which i think is rather simple :wink:

Deadring

GSteven
10-19-2004, 09:35 AM
I have a 94 that developed the same sound that CrispyJo described above, though it was only audible below 800 rpm. My gas mileage had fallen from an avg of around 23mpg to under 18. I also located PSE and ordered a lifetime warranty replacement SC. The changeout took less that 2 hours but I have considerable experience with this engine. PSE has been completely coooperative and helpful, my mileage improved to 28 highway and 25 city. I am absolutely pleased.

One note: upon cranking the car after the replacement I heard the same type of noise that I had before though not as loud. Turned out to be the belt tensioner for the smaller belt (runs the power steering and water pump). The spring had lost its spring. 10 bucks at a junk yard and about 30 minutes solved that.

hth
Steve

parkavenuechrome
10-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Sounds good to me... Good work!!

Add your comment to this topic!