Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Bright Red

blueboost
02-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey all,

been searching the forum here for almost an hour, can't find what I'm looking for.

I would have to say I am comfortable with pretty much every modeling skill except laying down the paint. No matter how hard I try, I'm never satisfied.

My question is to all of you with experience using Tamiya bright red paint. I would like to use it on my current project but I really dont want to mess up!!!!!How easy is this color to lay down? is it a "problem" color or is it one of those like the light gun metal that just seems to be very easy to work with??

hirofkd
02-04-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm using the bright red for my F2003-GA now.
As long you follow the basic rules of using the light colors, you'll be alright.
Treat the bright red as if it's clear red, and don't depend on its opacity. Instead, the finish of the base color will be critical. Make sure you spray grey and then white, each uniformly. There should be no opaque or translucent white spots on the body. It must be uniformly white, before applying red. When applying red, make sure not to run the paint, because paint run will cause irregular thickness. In order to avoid the paint run, spray no longer than 1 second on each side of the body. I applied more than 20 mist coats, and still didn't lose any details, so you can guess how thin each coat was. After red is uniformly applied, add one wet coat at the end. After paint is completely dry, it's ready to clear coat or sand and polish without clear.

willimo
02-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread, blueboost, and sorry I can't help with the red paint. Hirofkd's advice is good for me too!

Question for Hirofkd: What's the word on the fine looking turbo Integra in your sig? I've searched around here and on your home page and I couldn't find any mention of it. I'd love to see more pictures of it and some info on its build, it's looks just fantastic! Your radiator detail amazes me every time you post!

Sorry blueboost. Your thread can go back to normal now.

Add your comment to this topic!