Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 & 97 Check Engine light issues

somechic98
02-04-2004, 12:48 PM
:rolleyes:
I had a 96 probe, manual, and the check engine light was on every now and then for long periods of time... now I have a 97 automatic, with the same problem: the check engine light is constantly on and I can't even get my emmissions done so now my tags are suspended! anyone know how to reset the st00pid thing for a short time or what the cause/resolution is?

Fizer70
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
:rolleyes:
I had a 96 probe, manual, and the check engine light was on every now and then for long periods of time... now I have a 97 automatic, with the same problem: the check engine light is constantly on and I can't even get my emmissions done so now my tags are suspended! anyone know how to reset the st00pid thing for a short time or what the cause/resolution is?

Well, you have to go to Autozone (they read codes for free usually) to have them read the codes for you. Write the codes down and then do an OBD-II look-up of what the codes mean. You can also present the codes to the people of www.probetalk.com in the tech forum.

If you have a GT (V6 engine), I can probably help you with some stuff.

BTW, if you want to do a quick reset of your ECU, all you have to do is disconnect your negative lead to the battery for a few minutes. This will reset the ECU erasing all CELs. The bad thing is that if the thing that caused the CEL is still present, the CEL will get tripped again. Therefore, it's best to figure out what caused the CEL rather than just resetting the ECU blindly.

Your '96 Probe sounded like it needed a one or more new O2 sensors.

Add your comment to this topic!