Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

chekc engine light driving me nutZZ

luxor
02-03-2004, 06:57 PM
hello all, i have a 96 4runner that i have spent over $300 trying to fix so i can pass the smog check..i get this messege (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and i have changed both oxygen sensors on it (the one by the manifold was spliced and a 2001 sensor used) new catalytic converter, new fuel filter and new air filter but the check engine light will not go away and that messege keeps on coming up when i do the diagnostic with my obdII. Is there someone out there that could help me with this one cause frankly i feel like driving that piece of junk of a cliff but it is the only car i own,,your help will be greatly appreciated....thanks!!!

TRDCivicCrusher
02-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Its a fine vehicle...not a piece of junk. Have you smogged it since you did this work...that light just might have been shut off. If not...check your valves...if the timing is off...there ya go.

ToyotaTech
02-11-2004, 02:38 AM
I think u have a air fuel ratio sensor in the place of the o2 I think that 2001 model uses airfuel ratio sensors in bank1 sensor1 and that may be the cause of your check engine light.

luxor
02-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Thank you TRDCivicCrusher I will check it out...does anyone know where I can get an oxygen sensor for a descent price. I have been given quotes as high as 500 dollars. That is ridiculous and I can't afford that spend that amount. your help is greatly appreciated.

dickman
02-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I would also put a description of your original problem out on the following forum in the discussion group:
http://www.t4x4pickup.com/
I have seen several questions on 02 sensors there plus the best places to purchase them. I'm sure that someone will respond quickly.

luxor
02-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks to all those who replied about my check engine light...ToyotaTech was correct, i went and bought a 25 dollar
o2 sensor for a 96 4runner just to try it out and that actually
reset the computer and i passed the smog check with no problems, got my tags already and i am all set...again, thanks to all of you who helped me out...!

Add your comment to this topic!