Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which of these would you recommend for a newbie?

Swoxy
02-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok, I haven't ever made a kit before and I want to get started. Which of these Tamiya models do you think is best to start with? I have no idea about modeling!

http://stranglethecat.com/Uploads/2/0d_1.jpg

http://stranglethecat.com/Uploads/2/86_1.jpg

vwman
02-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Which have less parts :loser:

labandabonnot
02-03-2004, 01:57 PM
If the Mustang has no engine (curbside), choose it!
If both kits have engine (opening hood...), take the 500 sl, it's such a classic beauty!
I haven't built any of those kits, but with Tamiya quality, you can't be wrong.

... Thinking a little more about it: take the Mustang! It will look great even if you experience problems with the interior (we never know...).

In fact, just take the one you love the most!

tpliquid
02-03-2004, 02:10 PM
the 500sl is very nice!! me dad has it. good kit.

blueboost
02-03-2004, 02:16 PM
if its your first model and you want the mustang and the mercedes to look good, my suggestion would be to run to wal-mart or some store like that and pick up a cheap less then $10 model and practice your skills on something like that before possibly ruining a nice model like those tamiya one's. just a thought.

Ferrari TR
02-03-2004, 04:32 PM
I'd pick the SL. The Mustang R has a few body pieces that need a little experience for a smooth build, while the SL is a little more complicated overall.
:p

Vric
02-03-2004, 06:48 PM
do what you like

it's not becose a kit have an engin that it's harder.. it will only get you more time to do..

All tamiya kit are very good, some are harder becose of screw and extra details, but there is only few of them.

Even if the Mustang have more body part, if you glue them before painting and use not much paint (less is better than more) you will get a good result

as for buying a cheap Wallmart kit (ie AMT), yes, if you miss this kit you only "loose" 10$, but AMT and Revell kit are harder to make becose most of them are bad quality and fitment aren't that great (normal when you have 4 place around the world that make piece for 1 kit, they aren't made in the same place) So buy cheap, and you will probably miss it.

if you take your time, Tamiya kit are all very easy.. if you rush them, you will hate this hobby

KustmAce
02-03-2004, 08:47 PM
i have that benz, its sweet, but im not much of a model builder...im just partial to mercedes, so i say pick that one

ADVANFAN
02-03-2004, 10:04 PM
my 1st model ever was the 500SL. Even if its your 1st does not guarntee you'll ruin it. good luck

Add your comment to this topic!