Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Third Brake Light Removal?????????

VernonSH
02-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi All,
I am trying to remove my third brake light because I am installing an XM antenna on my roof and plan on running the wires through the third brake light and in through the headliner. Just wondering if anyone has ever removed his third brake light before. I tried removing it but it doesn't seem to want to come out. I removed the two screws on the outside and that only takes off the lens. I tried prying on it with a small prybar but it would not budge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

groupset
02-03-2004, 10:41 AM
My advice is to leave your third brake light assembly alone and mount your XM antenna on the top of the dash with some double-side tape - that's how I mounted my XM Commander antenna; works great! I ran the wire down through the defroster vent and to the Commander's control box, which is inside the dash next to the airbag assembly (where it won't interfere with deployment). I only get dropouts going under overpasses & bridges; and occasionally on cloudy days when I'm driving north for an extended amount of time. I'd rather have the few dropouts I've got than deal with possible leaks around the third brake light assembly; scratching of the paint on the roof where the antenna wire rubs against it in the wind; etc.

VernonSH
02-03-2004, 04:57 PM
That's how I have it setup right now. I have it just sitting on my dash on the passenger side. I get a lot of signal loss. I live on LI in NY and I'm way out on the east end so I think I am already working with a weak signal and having it inside the car is probably only hurting it. I'm trying to pull in the maximum signal possible and having no ground plane for the antenna doesn't help things.

David Patrick
02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi All,
I am trying to remove my third brake light because I am installing an XM antenna on my roof and plan on running the wires through the third brake light and in through the headliner. Just wondering if anyone has ever removed his third brake light before. I tried removing it but it doesn't seem to want to come out. I removed the two screws on the outside and that only takes off the lens. I tried prying on it with a small prybar but it would not budge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
probably secured under headliner, I bet you thought of that but wanted to know for sure, allthough you will have to take it loose to run your wire anyway

VernonSH
02-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah Dave,
That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to have to go through all that work only too find out that that wasn't how you do it. Would have been a waste of a few hours and also possibly damaging the headliner in the process. Thanks for the input.

Add your comment to this topic!