Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help With 84 Corolla...

HotBoys09
02-02-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a 1984 Corolla stick shift, and this thing has done anything short of ruin my life. I lost my job over it, and don't have credit (18 years old) to get a new/good used car. However I have close to a G in the bank, and I'm willing to use that money into reviving my car. There are 3 major problems with the car...and few minor ones which im not concerned with ex. cold heat (thermostat im guesing).

Listed in order of importance...

-First of all as of now the car wont start. I was driving down the road, and my lights started to dim, so I got nervous and looked for a safe place to pull off then signals stopped working. Then I pulled into a parking lot and then my car wouldn't start. I was thinking altenator right away. But then I tried to start my car and it wouldn't. But the altenator has nothing to do with starting it (battery and starter). So I got jumped by a V-10 battery which I'm sure is more than enough to juice up my little battery. Nothing. So just to be sure I bought a battery because I thought it needed one anyway. Nothing. Got it towed ($$$$) then had a starter put in (all of which in this story were used and purchased by the car shop from their unknown source). The car shop said it would be an extra day because the one they put in they said didn't work. So they got another one and put it in for free. Worked fine for a day. Next day it wouldn't start. Took it back to the shop and again they put another one in free of charge. It worked like a dream started right up, drove to family for Christmas, day after went shopping, came out of the store...nothing... So then I got it towed all the way to my house where it sits now. I have absolutley no clue what in the hell is going on and that's my most major problem, so if anyone has any idea or solution it would be very much appreciated.

-My next problem occured about a week before that disaster...I discovered that my brake line was broke when I was leaving work. So I was going to take it slow to my house which I did, but in the process some guy in a Bimmer passed me and a car turned onto the road right a head of him which made him cut me off and I had no brakes so I just flew off into a field. Suprisingly I made it out of the field easily but then from that point my back right shock/strut (??-dunno which) was squeaking like two rusted aluminum pieces scrapping together, then all off a sudden...crash!! It sounded like china breaking and ever bump or dip my tail-end would be all over the road and make banging noises on big bumps likes its just slapping on the floorboard... Again I'm totally clueless...

-Then for my final and least essential problem is my car spuderring when I take the throttle past half way. And I either need to let off the gas and press it again lighter or upshift which makes the car incredibly slow. But this has happened the whole time I've owned my car and I was told that it was the fuel filter and I replaced that myself...nothing. But I'm guessing it's due to the high milage of the car. But since Im having this problem and the problem with it starting now I'm thinking about getting another engine put in. But would it be worth it to do that? Or would be fixing these problems be much easier and cheaper. And If I do go ahead and get another engine I would want it to be fuel injected. Which would be a nice powerful (not a monster by any means, guessing a celica engine) fuel injected engine that would drop right in??

I am very upset about all this happening and cost is an issue, so if you could help me these procedures would be completed by myself... Unless I get an engine which I would have to get a shop to do that ($$$) So help right now would be very helpful and stress releaving. Thanks. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

HotBoys09
02-03-2004, 10:42 PM
No One??

Tanked
02-05-2004, 07:33 PM
First problem sounds like the alternator, or maybe even a loose belt or electrical connection between the alternator and battery. The latter happened to me a while back. Alternator doesn't work, the car will run fine for a good few hours, then die again.

Second problem sounds like a blown strut. Visually check the rear suspension for any broken rods and connections. If nothing's obvious, the strut probably needs to be replaced.

Third problem could be a carb issue. If the pedal is pressed more than halfway, the second barrel is supposed to do it's thing (the secondary throttle plate in the second barrel will begin to open, drawing more air and fuel). If the secondary fuel jet is plugged, that would cause the engine to become more lean the harder it is pressed. Also could be carbon buildup in the combustion chambers or misadjusted valves. There are fuel additives that are supposed to clear up carbon buildups but I do not know from experience how well they work. They only run about 5 bucks, though.

You should be able to get your valves adjusted to spec for around $50, its a fairly simple job, only requiring the removal of a few hoses and the valve cover.

Hope it helps.

Tanked
02-05-2004, 07:37 PM
A follow up - if your engine heats up slowly, it is almost definately the thermostat. It's not terribly difficult although it is annoying. I would recommend draining and flushing your cooling system if you decide to do that. If you have the RWD carbureted Corolla (SR5 4AC), the thermostat housing is located between the lower radiator hose and the block.

'Chevron Techron' concentrate is a carbon deposit remover
'BG44K' is a fuel system / carbon remover
'Restore' is a cylinder compression restorator
'Lucas' makes an oil pressure increaser and friction reducer

HotBoys09
02-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your help man. But I have put fuel injector/carb cleaner in it, nothing. But I am going to order an altenator for it. And I will check the strut. Would I have to put the car on blocks to replace it?

(EDIT Post)
Hey I don't get it, why would my alternator matter in my car starting up?

Tanked
02-10-2004, 06:50 PM
If the alternator isn't recharging the battery, the battery will gradually drain and die. Since you've had a starter and battery replaced, there's not much more that can be wrong, except maybe bad electrical connections.

I have no experience in changing suspension components, so I can't really advise you there.

If the problem is a plugged carburetor jet, it's relatively simple to fix, but a huge pain to get to. It's about as far down in the carb as anything else. Something you could try, however, is attempting to clean the jet without removing the carburetor. I haven't tried this myself but it doesn't seem difficult.

If you decide to try it...

Remove the air cleaner from the carburetor. It will make working with it a lot easier. Then, find the small "window" that looks into the float bowl. Beside the glass should be two hex bolts. If those bolts are removed, they allow direct line-of-sight down the feed line of the jet. You might be able to clean it through the bolt holes. A word of warning - the float will be full of gasoline, which will spill out when the bolt is removed.

Good luck, whatever path you take!

Morpheus XIII
07-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Thermostat, radiator cap, and possibly water pump should all be replaced; I just did that right now to my 3-door SR5 4AC. After removing old parts, there was so much gelatinous gunk built up in the various cooling components that it was pretty apparent here.

Hey, do you or anyone have the '84 4AC Service Manual? Anyone want to scan up the diagram for vacuum line connections?

Add your comment to this topic!