Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine swap from one GM to another GM

buddytopdog
02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Just getting started. All information is greatly appreciated. I have a 1989 Buick LeSabre T type I am trying to maintain. My wife totaled the 1991 Pontiac Bonneville. I have a new front clip (inner front structure for the Bonneville). I decided to put the Bonneville 3.8 engine in the Buick along with the new front clip. The Buick has four mounts, (two for the transmission and two for the engine). The Pontiac has only three mounts but, I intend to use the new front clip. Will this engine swap be successful by using the new clip in putting the Pontiac motor and transmission in the Buick? Pontiac has around 103,000 miles and the Buick has 202,000 milesn as the reason for the swap.

buickmastermind
10-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Well, Check the engine vin code for starters. should be a "c" for both vehicles. If they both have a "c" engine code, the motors should swap. The clip may not. Three of the mounts on the buick are for the tranny, and one for the motor. The two front mounts should line up, but if you are good with a torch and metal, you can make the back one work as well.

Add your comment to this topic!