Page updated on 10-21-2017

Engine detail/plug wires

datsun510dude
12-29-2001, 04:06 AM
Im planning on doing major detail on my models or at least a couple. I was wondering what tricks or tips do people have for making the engine compartment more realistic. I know hoe to make spark plug wires (heat up the plastic tree for your model parts and strech the melted plastic out) but what else to people do?

Thanks
Josh

modelfan1
12-29-2001, 07:09 PM
it's much easier to find some wire (telephoe wire,electric motor winding wire) at Radio Shack or electric supply store than stretching plastic sprue. Different sizes can be duplicated by taking off the insulation on the wire. Pre wired distributors and distributor caps with holes already drilled are available from a couple of aftermarket suppliers.

Scale Dreams (http://www.scaledreams.com/)

Jay!
12-29-2001, 07:16 PM
I bought a 10 foot phone cord from the 99 store for (duh!) 99, and inside the main casing are four wires: red, yellow, green and black. There's no reason they couldn't be painted, either... :)

primera man
12-30-2001, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by modelfan1
it's much easier to find some wire (telephoe wire,electric motor winding wire) at Radio Shack or electric supply store than stretching plastic sprue. Different sizes can be duplicated by taking off the insulation on the wire. Pre wired distributors and distributor caps with holes already drilled are available from a couple of aftermarket suppliers.

Scale Dreams (http://www.scaledreams.com/)

Thanks for that site.....very good !!

Murco
01-08-2002, 11:37 PM
Im getting ready to do a triple-throw-down SB2B Chevy engine in the next week or so. I plan to throw everything I've got in my arsenal at it and will be posting updates on my website. If you'd like I'll do a thread on it here.
Russ
This was my last detail hammer

4x4 Cactus
01-09-2002, 02:33 AM
thats one damn nice piece of work you got there. how long did it take you to do that?

Murco
01-10-2002, 12:46 AM
Thanks,
The carb took about 3 weeks to get right (scratchbuilt), the manifolds about 1 week of correcting, the smog system took 3 weeks, and the aluminum sheet brackets were the real monsters at 6-7 weeks of trial and error experimenting. The vavle covers were thinned and replated by Little Motor Car Co - taking 4 days on rush job, the electrical wiring was done a little at a time, the fuel lines were easily done as were the pulleys that I machined myself. The rubber v-belt took 15 minutes to make and the functional dipstick (with oil on it) took one night to get right. The other monster headache was the water pump that was scratchbuilt from layered plastic, filed and sanded to shape.
It's really hard to quantify the actual build time as it was done in free time over a year with the rest of the car.
Russ

Guiddy
01-10-2002, 03:26 AM
The battery terminals look brilliant!:eek:

primera man
01-10-2002, 05:03 AM
:eek: :eek: MY GOD......That's a bloody master peice :eek: :eek:

The carb looks just like a true 4barrel :eek:

Murco
01-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the comments!
The terminals are soooo easy!!
Take some solder, drill directly into the center of the end of it just a little with a pin vise, cut it 1/8" from the end, flatten the undrilled end just SLIGHTLY, drill a small hole in the center of the flattened area, make a small slice from the cut end to the flat hole with an x-acto knife, and do the final shaping with a flat file to get the sizes right. Solder files and cuts very easily and looks darn good when done.
:D

Murco
01-11-2002, 12:35 AM
I forgot!!
Sand off all molded in terminal and wire detail from your battery, get the surface perfectly flat, drill a small hole for each terminal, and use brass wire to mount the lugs. Finish the job with Humbrol "flat aluminum" to mimic the lead on the real car...
Russ

Murco
01-11-2002, 01:01 AM
MY GOD......That's a bloody master peice

No, just well documented and researched. My best friend, Bob Jernigan... HE built a MASTERPIECE!!
Russ :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Murco
01-11-2002, 01:03 AM
And while he's wrapping-up the rest of that model...I'm gonna kick his butt with my next car!!! ;)
Russ

Add your comment to this topic!