Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low Beam Headlights Gone, One at a time

tpwhec716
02-02-2004, 06:57 AM
1995 Explorer....The left low beam headlight went out a couple of months ago (fuse is good) and the Eddie Bower computer told me..."check headlights". So I did. Bulb is good, just no 12V to the left LB side. High beams are good. Attempting to trace the wiring back through the harness, looking for a break, failed. You ever try to unwrap all that stuff? Phew!

So, I ran a jumper from the right side LB to the left side LB and, behold, I got lights. Figured the most that could happen was to blow the fuse on the right hand side, 15A, with both LB's working through the single fuse. Nope, everything worked, just had to reset the computer every time I turned on the lights, because it still thinks the LH side is out.

Now both LB's have gone out...still have high beams on both sides. Fuses are good. I'm thinking that the monitoring module (the one that is telling me to check headlights) is at fault but I have no idea where it is located, although I suspect it is under the dash somewhere. I have a manual (not by Ford) that shows the wiring and the module but it does not indicate where the module is located, size or how to ID it.

Any help out there? Thanks

Opera House
02-02-2004, 11:31 AM
You could be right. The wire from the headlights seperately go to the lamp out warning module where each one is current sensed before going to the switch circuit. Doubling up the lamps could have burned the other side out. Can't tell you where the module is.

tpwhec716
02-06-2004, 09:42 AM
OK, here's what I found. Under the computer screen on the right hand side is the lamp outage module" #F57B-10K910-AB. A real b***h to get to. None of the instructions in the troubleing manual on how to remove the cover for the screen or the drink/change tray did any good. Just take your time and you will figure it out without breaking anything. The module has an orange sticker on it with two numbers to call prior to replacing the module....disregard, as they have no meaning at this time. I found two burnt components that were directly asociated with the LB lights. This unit monitors all of the lamps. $62 + some change from the local Ford dealer. LB lights now working. Original module was made in Canada...the replacement ... China.
Thanks for the help.
Tom Powell

bob47907
07-16-2004, 09:26 PM
I don't know if this will be of any help, since this thread is several months old, but I have an explorer with this exact problem, and was able to resolve it this afternoon.
What I found in the Lamp out warning module was two things. It uses ceramic resistors to measure the current drawn by each headlamp, and senses current draw that is too low/high.
These resistors get hot. Mine had some deterioration of the circuit board material, which led me to suspect a cold solder joint. There was so much heat under the module that it melted the solder joint for the resistors, and made the connection to the low-beam lamp go intermittant. The solution was to go over each of the solder joints for the large resistors in the warning module with a soldering iron and solder. That fixed the problem for me.

Hope this helps!

eagle203
07-30-2004, 10:06 AM
I have just replaced this on my explorer this morning thanks for the help.The module is located under the message center in the center console,you have to remove the message center and disconnect the wires then look on the right side of console there is a small box held by 2 screws it's about 2 1/2 x 4 in. with the orange sticker on it.You will need a long phillips head screwdriver to reach across the console to get the screws but this does fix the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!