Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dome Lights and Door Sensors on a Ford Windstar

smirk
02-02-2004, 05:50 AM
I am lost with this deal on the Door Sensors and Dome Lights. The doors indicator on the dash says the Side Door and Rear Door are open and they are not open and the dome lights wont stay off. I have tried cleaning the contact lenses and I have had no luck at all. Any Suggestions.

Smirk

rodeo02
02-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Smirk- try this, I got it from DonDude @ http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/fordwindstar/20.html
"Real simple to clear up ... done it myself twice (I have a 95 Windstar). The problem is almost always with the rear door sensors. Remove inner panel from rear door (if I remember correctly, you remove screws from handle assembly, and then simply "pop" the panel off). Then if you look inside on either side of the door, you will see the door open sensors which are simply a "rolling ball" type contact. Depending on whether the door is in the open position or the closed position, the ball will roll inside the sensor and make contact to send the signal to the module on the state of the door.

Occasionally the ball gets gummed up and wont roll freely, thus causing the sensor to register open when the door is closed (as the ball can not roll to the position for sending the closed signal). I disconnected the sensor, took the sensors out (couple of bolts), and sprayed contact cleaner into the sensor to clean off the ball (you'll know it is clean when you shake the sensor and can hear the ball rolling freely). Reinstall it, hook up the wire harness and all is well.

If you have to replace a sensor, it is that easy and much less expensive than getting a dealership to do it.

Lastly, you can disconnect the sensor and just leave it, but then you'll always be wondering "Did I really shut that back door ??"."

Hope it helps!
G/luck
Joel

tasteph
04-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Just bought a '96 Windstar and this sounds like a problem I have. When I get a chance I'll have to try this suggestion. However on mine the dome lights and audible warning does discontinue after several minutes, so if worse comes to worse and I don't get to it soon and as long as my wife don't get too upset I might just live with it for awhile!

tasteph
04-19-2004, 06:03 AM
I think I've got my problem fixed. I've seen other postings about this same problem and followed one suggestion to start engine and then turn off engine and then open/close one door at a time. I aslo sprayed WD-40 on all doors. It appears that the driver's door was the one that was the problem.

tim92001
04-29-2004, 10:26 PM
all the info here was good, my dome light is now off the problem was the back door and i oiled and cleaned the sensors and it work. Just so you know mine is a 2000 so it is not just the 96 or 98...thanx for the info ppl.

swick
05-28-2004, 06:32 PM
I had the same problem. I posted my solution in another thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1870064
Greasing the door didn't work - I disconnected the sensors.

2tru
05-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Another thread suggested spraying with WD-40, so I tried it out on my 1998's rear hatch sensors, and it worked like a charm. Saved me $60 at my local garage.

mikehillyer
08-13-2006, 11:36 AM
wd-40 worked for me too...
on 8-13-06
dumb rear hatch!

Doug360
08-16-2006, 11:59 AM
You don't even have to take the door panel off. Just spray WD40 into the latch area on both sides. Worked for me!

garync1
01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
BTT Someone and also myself have same issue.. Mine is once in while... looks like the sensors are internal... Or you can spray in latch as someone else posted.. I am pulling mine off to have look...

bbonifant
01-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Sa-weet. Thanks. I'll be checkin-er out in the morning.

Delkal
04-21-2007, 06:15 PM
On my 98 Windstar when the motor is running and a door is opened there is a brief ring tone. When I opened the problem door there was no tone. THIS IS THE PROBLEM DOOR AND THE ONE TO CONCENTATE ON!!!

danlg
07-12-2007, 02:07 PM
WD-40 & all tips are great. Thanks!! However, remember that if the dimmer switch (at least in my 98) is in full on position, interior lights stay on. I also disconnected and reconnected the battery to reboot any logic. Don't know if the last bit helped, but my problem is now fixed, & I'm a happy camper!:grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!