Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Noise When Cold-Ram 1500

Ba24dupont
02-01-2004, 06:08 AM
Hello Everyone, I am new to this but it looks like a great site!!
I have a 2001 ram 1500 w/318 and my transmission makes a noise like a powersteering pump that is low on fluid when I put it into reverse for the first time in the mornings. The noise is louder and can feel it in the truck when it is cold. The colder it is the louder it is. After the truck warms up and is driven, the noise fades to a point that you can barely hear it. In the summer time the noise is real faint. Is anyone having the same problem and if so, what was the outcome??
I appreciate any info on this problem, I'm really concerned!

Thanks.....Bill

DGB454
02-01-2004, 07:37 AM
I don't get the noise but in the winter mine likes to slip out of gear until it's warmed up. I hate to say this but the Ram tranny is just junk. You would think they could have figured out how to build a decent one by now.
Good luck. Hopefully someone will be able to give you the answer.

dano 360
02-01-2004, 02:09 PM
The buzzing whining noise when cold in reverse is pretty normal for the Dodges. Me and alot of guys on the other Dodge boards have it.

Danny

Gabrielc
02-05-2004, 10:22 PM
My 2001 360 does the same but does not affect performance. It is somewhat annoying though. I hope someone comes forward and tells us what the real problem was if they have had this problem fixed. Also, the cost$.

dano 360
02-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Here's a fix for it. But it might take a LITTLE work http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/21-11-97.htm

Danny

LTJGWorth
06-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Thats a little more then a LITTLE work there dano. More then I'm wanting to do. I'm having similiar problems with my 97 ram. If its in park or neutral and i step on the gas it makes a loud wining noise and when I shift into reverse it doesn't go into gear. I just had the fluid and filter changed so its not that. It may be what that link is describing but thats a lot of work

Ba24dupont
06-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Since I posted this question, I have talked to a service tech. and he told me the exact same thing as this fix listed. He said Dodge knows about it and does not fix it because it is not going to get rid of the noise and does not affect performance. I just try not to put it in reverse as much as possible.

Mkovach
09-16-2004, 10:00 AM
There is an easy solution to this. Dodge tranny's dont flow fluid in park or neutral. After start up, put truck in reverse or drive and set e-brake. Let it idle for a minute or 2 and then drive. Its just a matter of fluid flowing through the trans to lube it sort of speak.

Add your comment to this topic!