Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problems with 89 formula (could someone put a picture of their starter?)

DustyWusty
01-30-2004, 10:21 PM
I have some problems getting it started...
Car is a 1989 firebird automatic formula
*When I turn the key I get 1 click, I have vats but the security light doesn't flash

*I took out a clifford alarm in it and put all the wires back (re-spliced the orignals) As long as im getting the click it means the wiring is ok right?

*Battery and terminals are fine

*What does a starter look like and where the heck is it, i was reading around and a lot of people are saying try having someone turn the key while another person bangs on the starter with a hammer

*I just put in 2 gallons of 92 octane and some dry gas

*headlights etc is all fine

*Please tell me its just the starter!
Please help, thanks guys

WS6er_02
01-30-2004, 11:22 PM
If your head lights and other electrical work then it is usually the starter, and hitting it with a hammer does sometimes work. But dont try to kill it. I had a 91 v6 firebird, and the starter locked up a few times. On the v6 it was on the passenger side. Its connected to the flywheel, where the transmission and engine meet. Its usually like a silver or black steel cylinder about eight or so inches in diameter.

dena_marie
02-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Weird... sounds like the same problem I had on my 91. Did you check the fuel injectors? It was a weird similar problem, everything electrical worked but the car wouldn't start. Jumping it would last a very short while. Turns out I had small leaks in each injector that weren't detected separately. But together, it was one big leak that caused her to constantly die out and not start up again. It's worth getting them checked if it works.

tg1hq
02-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I just bought an 89 Formula a few weeks ago, myself. I was just trying to replace the starter this morning, and it took me about 30 minutes just to find a jacking point, then the starter.
The starter is on the passenger side about as far back as the front tire is. And, it looks really hard to get to because the exhaust is in the way. I was actualy wondering if anyone knew an easy way to get to the starter. Good luck.

Twizted_3KGT
02-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah, assuming this is a 350 then it is held in by two mounting bolts which face down and are easily removed with an extension. After those are taken out it should drop a little and you can disconnect the wires: one set by a small bolt, and another by a smaller bolt next to the other. Then it's easy to turn it vertical and it will drop right out. I've done it many a time on this car (mine's an 88)

As far as your problem, sounds like it's just a starter. The click means that your starter solenoid is working correctly but the starter motor is probably fried. I think a new starter costs about $35 from Autozone after the core is returned. And the location of it is on the passenger side near where the exhaust pipe bends in a U-shape before the catalytic converter. Hope this helps!

tg1hq
03-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Awesome tips for removing the starter, Twizted, muchos gracias.

FormulaLT1
03-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Welcome to the forum tg1hq but for future reference please make a new thread before you bring back a 14 month old thread. Glad someone was able to help you though.

John

Add your comment to this topic!