Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Wiper Control-Can I Bypass It????

mightymavkev
01-30-2004, 04:23 PM
98 Rodeo.

Rear wiper has a mind of its own. I've read all the posts and PM'd a few people and I'm being told that it is most likely the "alarm control unit".

My Haynes doesn't mention an "alarm control unit" but the wiring diagram for the rear wiper indicates a "rear wiper controller". I'm assuming that's the same thing.

Anyway, here's the question. I don't care if the wiper only goes intermittently when it's on or stops in the middle of the glass if the rear latch is opened while it's on. All I really want it to do is turn on and wipe continuously when I flip the switch ON and turn off and park the blade when I flip the switch OFF.

So, given that this wiper motor is a seemingly simple device, does anyone know how I could bypass this so called "control unit" and just get ON and OFF behavior from the switch to the motor?

There are 5 total wires at the motor. 2 in one harness that are somewhat bigger and 3 other smaller wires in a separate harness. Assuming the larger 2 are power and ground and the others are "signal" wires for internal relays, does anyone know if I could jumper the signal wires somehow or give them constant voltage when it's turned on so that it just stays on.

I really don't want to spend $200+ for a control unit when I'm not even sure that is what's wrong with it.

Also, any of the techs out there have access to a better wiring diagram than what Haynes has? The colors they have in theirs does not match my 98, so I wonder if there are other differences between years that they haven't covered. Also their instructions for removal of the motor do not match for the 98.

Thanks,

Kevin.

amigo-2k
01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Maybe you could pick up the part you need at a pick and pull?

check out:

www.car-parts.com

tmckenna
12-13-2004, 01:50 PM
98 Rodeo.

Rear wiper has a mind of its own. I've read all the posts and PM'd a few people and I'm being told that it is most likely the "alarm control unit".

My Haynes doesn't mention an "alarm control unit" but the wiring diagram for the rear wiper indicates a "rear wiper controller". I'm assuming that's the same thing.

Anyway, here's the question. I don't care if the wiper only goes intermittently when it's on or stops in the middle of the glass if the rear latch is opened while it's on. All I really want it to do is turn on and wipe continuously when I flip the switch ON and turn off and park the blade when I flip the switch OFF.

So, given that this wiper motor is a seemingly simple device, does anyone know how I could bypass this so called "control unit" and just get ON and OFF behavior from the switch to the motor?

There are 5 total wires at the motor. 2 in one harness that are somewhat bigger and 3 other smaller wires in a separate harness. Assuming the larger 2 are power and ground and the others are "signal" wires for internal relays, does anyone know if I could jumper the signal wires somehow or give them constant voltage when it's turned on so that it just stays on.

I really don't want to spend $200+ for a control unit when I'm not even sure that is what's wrong with it.

Also, any of the techs out there have access to a better wiring diagram than what Haynes has? The colors they have in theirs does not match my 98, so I wonder if there are other differences between years that they haven't covered. Also their instructions for removal of the motor do not match for the 98.

Thanks,

Kevin.

I have the same problem. Did you ever get this figured out?

Thanks

Letsrodeo
12-13-2004, 07:45 PM
I think the bypass switch will be more complex than fixing the contol unit. The rear wiper control relay is probally the cause of your problem. It's located in the Alarm and Control unit and has two or three relays mounted on a printed circuit board (PCB). This depends on the model year.

The control unit is mounted on the right side above the kick panel. You have to remove your glove box to get to it. There's two small boxed at this location. The Alarm and Control Unit is the upper most and the larger of the two.

Here's a link to some information about the alarm and control unit and what others have done to fix the front intermittent wipers. If you can identify which relay is the rear and replace it, that should fix your wiper. Worst case, replace all three (or two).

Intermittent Wipers (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=613641&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Best of luck.

my edit is in red, I mistakenly listed left, actually it's on the right, my bad!

Add your comment to this topic!