Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 lt1 z28 overheating problem

Clevj001
01-30-2004, 03:57 AM
hey i just bought a 94 z28 with the lt1 and the 6 speed tranny its all in great condition except the electric fans do not work i was wondering if there was a common problem with them when i brought it home i also realized that the plug for the level of water in the raidiator was not plugged in so i plugged it in the raidiator is full but the light is on even though it is full is this just a common problem i used to have an 89 rs so the 4th gens are somewhat new to me
im guessing the fan switch is proly just messed up somewhere im gonna pull the fans and check them soon to see if they work at all
i replaced the stat and the cap because the stat was opening up at 195 instead of 180 and the cap wasnt holding pressure at all
any ideas would be helpful cuz for now it sits in the garage until i get it fixed
thanks
justin

GTR2b
01-30-2004, 04:45 AM
check your fuse panel in the engine compartnemt. My SS blew it out once. I'll be willing to bet that your SES (Service Engine Soon) light is on as well.

Clevj001
01-30-2004, 11:15 AM
well i for some reason didnt think to check that but the ses light is not on
thanks
justin

hot_red_z28
01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
try bleeding the lines to see if there is any air in them. If there is, and an air pocket is by the low coolant sensor, that could set it off falsely. Likewise, your engine will overheat if it has air bubbles in it.

There are two bleeder screws on the coolant lines up near the intake. Just turn the car on and gently loosen one. You might hear a little hiss. Leave it open until coolant starts seeping out, then tighten it off. Repeat with the other bleeder screw as well.

How do you know your fans aren't turning on? My stock setting allowed my car to get to like 220 Deg or so before kicking on... :dunno:

Clevj001
01-31-2004, 02:08 AM
well i sat there waiting for em to turn on while it was running it got up almost to the red so then i shut it off i got all the air out already but im gonna try again tomorrow morning thanks for the info
justin

Genopsyde
02-01-2004, 02:40 AM
i had the cooling fan problem with mine, and i had to replace a few things, if you want details just pm and i'll type it all out.

Clevj001
02-01-2004, 03:26 AM
so today i checked to make sure the fans work and they did so i go and replace the sensor thing it was only 8 bucks no big deal and figuring iit will work, it doesnt so then i start testing the relays they all work then i notice only one fan is suposed on at a time according to the haynes manual well the guy that had this before me must of rewired so they both go on at the same time but in doing so he messed it up so that when the engine heats up they dont come on at all should i try and rewire everything or just use a manual switch to switch it on as long as the ac is on it wont over heat because both fans come on
thanks

Chevyracincamaro
02-01-2004, 03:06 PM
yeah the one fan is for the ac system...but i would just wire up a manaul switch, that way you can turn on the fan whenever you want an it would prolly be easier...

Clevj001
02-02-2004, 12:56 AM
yea i ordered it so hopefully it comes soon
thanks
for all the help
justin

Chevyracincamaro
02-02-2004, 04:50 PM
you didnt order the one from slp did you!?!?! i dont understand how slp has the guts to sell that thing for so much money when i can go to radioshack and for 2 dollars make my own. hell the switch i used on my car i found lyin around in the garage...

Clevj001
02-02-2004, 05:32 PM
oh no i got mine for 20 bucks it has actual plugs and led to let you know the speed it plugs directly into th fan without having to cut wires
whats slp anyway
justin

Chevyracincamaro
02-02-2004, 07:54 PM
oh ok...slp: street legal performance...the company that took z28s and turned em into ss's...they make all kinds of performance parts for f-bodies and mustangs, one of em is a wiring harness that is basically whay you ordered, only they charge like50 or 60 bucks for it...

Genopsyde
02-02-2004, 11:43 PM
just don't forget to turn it on when it's hot enuff

Add your comment to this topic!