Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stuck ignition switch

cmdstring
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I just purchased a 1996 4 Runner Limited. Everything has worked fine until today. After work I put the key in the ignition and it would not turn. No matter how much I wiggled the key, it wouldn't budge. A friend came over to help and he did the same thing. Then he said "Try to push the car back and forth". After rocking the car a few times the key turned and was fine after that. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Does the park pawl in the transmission have anything to do with the key turning? Or was it just a fluke and I have a bad switch? I will add that I was on a level surface.

TRDCivicCrusher
02-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Next time wiggle the steering wheel. It locked on ya. It tends to happen sometimes....not a big deal.

4Runner03
02-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that is a security feature if I am not mistaken that car manufacturers have been adding for years. Try to wiggle like TRDCivicCrusher said.

ToyotaTech
02-11-2004, 02:51 AM
pull the wheel to the hard right and then to the hard left while turning the key this is a safety device that has been in all cars for years now

cmdstring
02-21-2004, 10:33 AM
The problem turned out to be the key. I went down to the Toyota dealer and had a new key made.

littleredtruck04
05-10-2004, 04:35 PM
My key wouldn't turn in the ignition for any reason, despite my wiggling of it and my pushing the truck back and forth. Putting the key in the ignition and turning hard left, then turning hard right while turning the key got it to start. Thanks!

One question though. Why does this happen only some of the time?

Brian R.
05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Sometimes when you turn off the ignition, the engine stopping causes the power steering to load the wheels slightly left or right. This binds the steering wheel. (speculation).

dc2dragster
12-21-2004, 10:39 PM
im having the same problems right now. it wont turn for nothing , i try wiggling the steering wheel and everything. do u guys think i need to change the whole ignition systems.

forest_grump
12-26-2004, 07:38 AM
im having the same problems right now. it wont turn for nothing , i try wiggling the steering wheel and everything. do u guys think i need to change the whole ignition systems.

Don't wiggle then.....apply *slight* pressure on key as if trying to start it and turn steering wheel hard right then left...>>>>WARNING<<<< do NOT do this while driving.

Add your comment to this topic!