Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Altima?

nytlife666
01-29-2004, 02:44 PM
I found a 1993 Altima for sale around my house its a 5spd, good condition, but its got 138,900k on it!!! Is 699 worth it? Is there ne thing out there for this car?

paparay
01-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Your question (message) leaves a lot to be desired.

Are you saying they want under one thousand dollars for the car?

How did you determine what condition the car is in?

Give us quite a bit more information and we will tell you what we think.

techmodealtima95
02-01-2004, 05:58 PM
how much experience do u have in 2ning cars? 7 bills for a 5 spd altima is straight up deal... but then again if u don't know wat to look for den u mite over look important internal and hidden details... example: accident report, tranny, pumps, over heating, electrical, tampering, check lights, after market mods, clutch, throttle... and im just naming basics... find sum1 thats good with cars to have him/her look for you... it could be a good deal or u could be looking at a $700 paper weight. Its all about what u kno so do sum hw and research. good luck

bias177
02-07-2004, 10:48 AM
I completely agree with techmode, an Altima for 700 dollars its a steal. If you worried about the 168k mi, do not. Its a stick so the tranny will be ok for the most part if the previous owner knew how to drive stick. Other than that it should be fine since the tranny shares the oil w the motor so if the required oil changes were kept then the damage due to improper lubrication will be minimal. The only thing that should be ready to go bad should be the altenator, fuel filter, I'd check all of the hoses to, and from the motor for cracks, and the radiator. Unfourtunately the radiator its made out of plastic/metal so the plastic tanks will dry and become brittle w heat and time. I'd change it even if it looks good, unless its new. Dont want to take the chance to crack the cooling tank and feed a nice dose of antifreeze to your tranny via the cooling lines which inturn the tranny will pass to the motor causing your ati to pretty much die if not caught in time.

paparay
02-07-2004, 11:21 AM
The previous replys gave good advice except for a couple of things...

1. "it should be fine since the tranny shares the oil w
the motor" This is NOT correct. Transmissions, auto and manual do not share any oil with the motor, they are completely different systems.

2. Cooling of transmissions is dependant on transmission or if an transmission cooler (auto transmissions only) is installed.

If you have not flushed and refilled your transmission and your car has over 40-50 thousand miles YOU NEED TO DO IT NOW!!! This is with an automatic or manual transmission. BTW, they use different fluids, the auto uses automatic transmission fluid (type being determined by manufacturer) Manual also being determined by manufacturer but is not a fluid but a "gear oil"-API GL-4*3" for the Altima.

When you have your automatic transmission flushed and refilled you also need to have its filter changed out.

READ and understand your service requirements for your car. They are all in your owners manual.

Add your comment to this topic!