Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 talon vs 96 pgt

talonspaz420
01-29-2004, 10:00 AM
i have a 92 talon with a 2.0 dohc fwd non turbo about 145 hp and im buying a 96 pgt im wondering which one has more potetial to hit my goal of a 8.5 second 1/4 mile and will hold up better to the side effect of nos

Fizer70
01-29-2004, 10:27 AM
i have a 92 talon with a 2.0 dohc fwd non turbo about 145 hp and im buying a 96 pgt im wondering which one has more potetial to hit my goal of a 8.5 second 1/4 mile and will hold up better to the side effect of nos

8.5 sec 1/4 mile? Neither one has any potential of getting to that ET in the 1/4. If you mean 1/8 mile, then sure you can get to the 1/8 in 8.5 sec. The Probe can do it for sure with a shot of nitrous (start spraying midway thru 2nd gear). Unfortunately, the stock fuel pump can hold a maximum of a 45 shot of N2O dry. If you want a bigger shot you will have to go to a wet shot or add in a Walbro 190 or 255 L/hr fuel pump. In which case, you can do up to a 75 hp dry shot or 100 hp wet shot. If you try to go for a higher shot without upgrading the fuel pump or converting to a wet kit, you will probably blow the motor due to a lean condition and detonation.

Do not spray off the line or anytime in first gear. It won't do anything but spin the tires. If you have an ATX (auto tranny) don't spray more than a 45 shot. If you do, you risk blowing the tranny.

I'm not familiar with DSM's, but I'm sure the Talon could probably match up just as well.

Either engine should hold up to N2O as long as you give them enough fuel. The thing you should worry about is if your tranny and clutch are up to the job.

Edit: I just checked your other posts, I guess you were serious about that 1/4 mile ET. Seriously, you will never reach it. Both cars are FWD. Look at the 2003 NHRA Sport Compact Drag times:

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2003/stats/records.html

You will have to beat a Civic that got an 8.45 sec 1/4 mile @ 180.31 MPH. Holy freaking cow. The Probe's manual tranny gearing in 5th maxes out at redline at 145 mph. I'm sure that civic has a Turbocharged, engine with custom tranny gearing, slicks, NHRA safety mods and a parachute.

talonspaz420
01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
i know for a fact that the talon can do a 8.5 second 1/4 mile check out extrememotorsports.com

BlooDReigN
01-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Talonspaz, a FWD Talon just isn't going to cut it. The only reason anybody at that site is doing the 1/4 so fast is because he has AWD. If you want to go fast in a Talon, buy a TSI and upgrade that instead. Will save you money in the long run. They are MUCH faster. The TSI has AWD and is turbo charged and puts out 200ish hp. The Talon TSI has MUCH MUCH MUCH more potential than a Probe, but is also more expensive. With around 2k in mods invested in one of these you can have ~12 second 1/4 mile times and around 300 HP. Don't buy a Probe if you want to get 8.5 sec, hell, don't even buy a Talon. Buy a RWD V8. Won't have as good traction, but in the end will have much more power for a much cheaper price in the end.

talonspaz420
01-29-2004, 11:47 PM
ive gotta go with an import on this one its to easy to build a v-8 to go that fast i already own a 92 talon and im buying a 96 pgt 2 cars ive always wanted to own im just curius which one would be cheaper and ez to build to go that fast they both can go that its just a matter of spending the money to do it

Fizer70
01-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Like BlooDReigN and I have said, both cars will not allow you to meet your goals. As much as I like my Ford Probe GT (PGT), it's a horrible drag racing platform. The best any 2nd generation PGT has done is high 12's in the 1/4 mile. All have been forced induction (supercharged or turbocharged). The only way you will get a PGT into the 8's would be to do a RWD conversion and build an engine of your choice.
If you really wanted to stay FWD, you'd have to use those hydraulic "wheelie bars" that jack up the rear and apply force to the front wheels.

FWD sucks for traction.

BlooDReigN
01-30-2004, 07:39 PM
IMPORT??? Since when are either of those cars imports? Eagle was owned by Chrysler and the Probe is a Ford. Just because they are 4 cylinders they are imports?

Anyway man, unless you have a shitload of money to throw around (aka away), don't even try this with either of these cars. You will just end up being disappointed with the performance for the money you will have to invest in the end. I don't think you know how fast 8.5 seconds is in the 1/4 mile and getting a 4 cylinder (even if it is AWD) to do this, is quite a feat and requires a very large chunk of change and an even larger amount of knowledge about automobiles. Judging from the things you have said so far, it appears you possess neither, although you gotta start somewhere with car knowledge.

Like I have said a few times already, don't try this with either car, and if you want to do it with either one of them, sell the Probe and the Talon and buy a Talon TSI.

talonspaz420
01-30-2004, 09:12 PM
listen hear you fucjk you know nothin about me or what i know about cars and as far as the cars not being imports just because they say ford and eagle on the the probe is all mazda under the hood and as far as i know is part mazda in the suspension and the talon is a eclipse but it just says eagle talon on the back so before you go running your mouth about what i know about cars you better check your self before i check you punk

BlooDReigN
01-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Wasn't meant to be offensive. But I'm not just basing it off you calling those imports. You thinking that a FWD car can go that fast is what lead me to think that.

As to your question of which can hold up better to nos, neither can withstand very much seeing as they are both pretty small engines. You would have to get some higher quality stuff in the engine before you would want to use that without risking your engine too much for relatively small gains

Oh, and don't go running your mouth either when you can't do anything to the person, even if you wanted to. Now, do you have anything else you want to know about these cars, or do you just want to curse? :)

Fizer70
01-31-2004, 12:48 AM
talonspaz420,

Yeah, I think it was meant more as a reality check. I'd have to guess that any car that can run an 8.5 in the 1/4 has at least $15-20k invested in it. Did you see that list of equipment in that AWD Talon on extrememotorsports.com . That is probably the income of your average joe.

In terms of being an import, a Talon is clearly a DSM. The Probe while being mostly Mazda (skin by Ford) is usually derided by most unknowing "import tuners" as a domestic. Which is pretty sad :( but oh well.

talonspaz420
01-31-2004, 12:49 AM
listen hear you canadian fuck if you want to do something about it let me know and ill show you what i can do about it

BlooDReigN
01-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Bring it on man, LOL. Want my address? :p

talonspaz420
01-31-2004, 01:53 AM
where u at bitch

BlooDReigN
01-31-2004, 02:15 AM
#152 Canterbury Dr. and you obviously know what city from my profile.

Don't be backin down now :)

Fizer70
01-31-2004, 10:19 AM
you guys are nuts. It's only an 11 hour drive :D What a waste of time that would be

NeonblueEclipse
02-01-2004, 11:06 PM
getta 92 awd talon and then u kan have a potential 8.5 sec car
for the probe, i dunno

talonspaz420
02-04-2004, 12:16 AM
thanx

madman73
02-05-2004, 12:12 PM
The talon is a good choice for the 8.5 sec car BUT the probe has a lot of potential if you know what to do yes mazda makes all the 2.0 2.6 and 2.2 motors and then there is KLZE and FE DOHC when bosted can run decent times like some said unless your willing to dump like 10k-15k its hard to build a 8sec car and besides you can never drive in the street what fun would that be

C_Sephiroth
02-13-2004, 09:52 PM
HeH You guys are funny. I need to start comming into the Ford area of the Forum more often. :lol: I would have to agrea with everyone else. The Probe and The Talon are not Logical choices For an 8 sec car. I would go for the TSI Talon, Two of my friends race, One had the TSI and the other was a Camaro, early 90's 350. The TSI beat him, and only had an exhaust kit. They are really fast cars. Also The GM 2.3 Quad 4's the H.O. engines produse 185 Hp and like 165 Tq Stock. Not to bad, Do something with one of those, I was reading about a GM concept race insired Grand am with the 2.3 that made 607 hp, on stock High output internals.

colins93probegt
11-04-2004, 01:50 PM
first of all...you could prolly make a probe and 8.5 second car...with the right knowledge and people that know what they are doing i dont see why you couldn't...im sure yuou could completely gut it and modify it enough to make it that fast....its for sure not going to be stock by any means...but i think with the right knowledge and everything im sure you could make it that fast...it would just be really expensive and a waste to put all that money in the probe...if you have that kind of money to do that get a new car...haha..

UncleBenRep
11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
the fastest STREET LEGAL car ive heard of running close to that time is a Supra. FWD just doesn't cut it. and of course you COULD make a pgt a 8.5 car...with a shitload of $$$ anything is possible. and i would stop running your mouth talonspaz. word of advice....."arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...even if you win u are still a retard"

UncleBenRep
11-11-2004, 12:51 PM
whoa really old thread.....goddamnit

NeonblueEclipse
11-21-2004, 02:56 AM
Talonspaz, a FWD Talon just isn't going to cut it. The only reason anybody at that site is doing the 1/4 so fast is because he has AWD. If you want to go fast in a Talon, buy a TSI and upgrade that instead. Will save you money in the long run. They are MUCH faster. The TSI has AWD and is turbo charged and puts out 200ish hp. The Talon TSI has MUCH MUCH MUCH more potential than a Probe, but is also more expensive. With around 2k in mods invested in one of these you can have ~12 second 1/4 mile times and around 300 HP. Don't buy a Probe if you want to get 8.5 sec, hell, don't even buy a Talon. Buy a RWD V8. Won't have as good traction, but in the end will have much more power for a much cheaper price in the end.

couple facts for you
1.) AWD does launch,and it launches hella well, FWD is lighter though and with a good driver, you can launch almost as good
2.) NOT ALL Tsi's are awd, a normal Tsi is FWD, and the Esi is NA, FWD
3.) John Sheppard has a 8 sec talon....whats stopping this guy frommaking his Talon or PGT a 8.5 second car? aside of cash flow
plus CONVERSION'S man,if he wants it enuff, do a converion tothe PGT for a RWD, problem solved

96probegt
11-24-2004, 07:13 PM
finally someone who knows that it can be done with the right amount of cash

Add your comment to this topic!