Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem with COLD Start..

94AccordEX
01-28-2004, 05:12 PM
It has been freezing here recently and when I go to start the car first thing in the morning, it would crank for like 3 seconds and cough briefly but does not start. Then I try again and it does the same. Then on the third try, it starts immediately with almost no cranking. Then throughout the day whenever I shut it off and start again, it starts with no problem at all. The problem is only during the first start of the day. Has anyone ever had this problem and how did you fix it? I am afraid it might be something serious or expensive to fix. Thanks all.

blazinmiller
01-28-2004, 07:02 PM
I'd do a full tune-up including getting your timing checked.

Your one of many honda owners on the eastcoast that are having issue's starting their cars in the freezing temps.

I have an assumption that the freezing temps are bringing out the neglect that most honda's seem to recieve.

avpart3
01-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Put some winter fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank.

ajdragonf
01-29-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm having somewhat of a problem, but I live in Minnesota where it's 20 degrees below zero. If you can start it half-way through the night for about 5-10 minutes you will be fine...but who wants to wake up and start a car in the middle of the night...get a remote start, or park your car in a garage.

ponchonutty
01-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I'm having somewhat of a problem, but I live in Minnesota where it's 20 degrees below zero. If you can start it half-way through the night for about 5-10 minutes you will be fine...but who wants to wake up and start a car in the middle of the night...get a remote start, or park your car in a garage.

The most common fix is to upgrade the ignition system with better sparkplugs/wires/coils. The OEM ones are very poor in design. My changed my sisters and have not ever had any problems since.

94AccordEX
01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
What name parts did you use?

The most common fix is to upgrade the ignition system with better sparkplugs/wires/coils. The OEM ones are very poor in design. My changed my sisters and have not ever had any problems since.

blazinmiller
01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
That's weird.
My mechanic (when I can't figure stuff out and give up) was the Foreman of the local honda stealership for over 15 years. He ownes his own shop now.

Anyways, he'd tell you differently. He replaces ALL parts with stock honda parts and swears up and down by this.
He's been in the honda/chevy business for over 20 years now and he is seriously, the most honest mechanic you'll ever meet.

I've already had 2 bad experiences with not using honda parts.
One was not using honda struts and cheapy gabirels, blown in no time.
The next was not using honda cap and rotor. It fried my coil.

I actually bought $50 lifetime warrenty plugs recently for my 90 EX, and just like the last OHC engine I owned, non-factory wires didn't fit as snug as the factory plugs.

94AccordEX
01-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Where is your mechanic's shop? I hope it's near NY.

That's weird.
My mechanic (when I can't figure stuff out and give up) was the Foreman of the local honda stealership for over 15 years. He ownes his own shop now.

Anyways, he'd tell you differently. He replaces ALL parts with stock honda parts and swears up and down by this.
He's been in the honda/chevy business for over 20 years now and he is seriously, the most honest mechanic you'll ever meet.

I've already had 2 bad experiences with not using honda parts.
One was not using honda struts and cheapy gabirels, blown in no time.
The next was not using honda cap and rotor. It fried my coil.

I actually bought $50 lifetime warrenty plugs recently for my 90 EX, and just like the last OHC engine I owned, non-factory wires didn't fit as snug as the factory plugs.

blazinmiller
01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Portland, OR.
Sorry.

I bet NY would breed dis-honest machinics.

To give you an example of how cool my mechanic is..

I took it to him to figure out why my front right corner is making alot of noise when cold when going over bumps and to also figure out why my honda will burn oil sometimes, and not others.

Final diag and bill:
Front right strut blown(cheap ones previous owner put on) and I need a new valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.
Told him I didn't want him to do this easy stuff.

He gave me the part numbers to the gaskets, got me his discount at the local honda stealership, and charged me $20 cash for his time.

NOW THAT'S a good machanic.

Add your comment to this topic!