sound system

94civic
12-28-2001, 12:15 AM
There are a lot of kids around my neighborhood with sound systems that sound so nice. They have nice low frequency bass and it's loud and clear too. If you stand about 50 ft away you can feel the bass,you can be in your house and when the drive by you can feel the house shake a little bit . I wanna know how can i make my system sound like this. i was planning on using jl audio or audiobahn subs. Now tell me straight forward of which model sub of either the two listed how many, what kind of box and shit like that. I don't think that they use more than 2 or 3 subs because they had a civic hatchback and it sounded really sweet.

kicker1_solo
12-28-2001, 01:44 AM
Get 2 12" JL W6s in an Obcon box. That would do just fine :)

94civic
12-28-2001, 12:50 PM
are you sure that just those two will be able to produce the bass and clarity i'm looking for. Remember i wanna be able to makepeople feel the bass even when tey're inside the house when i drive by. Also where can i find those obcon boxes

kicker1_solo
12-28-2001, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 94civic
are you sure that just those two will be able to produce the bass and clarity i'm looking for. Remember i wanna be able to makepeople feel the bass even when tey're inside the house when i drive by. Also where can i find those obcon boxes I had 4 of them in my prelude, and I shattered one of my windows in it. I hit 155.2 DBs which is really good in competition level. Even when I had 2 subs in there I had the loudest system in my town. If you have the right amp, you will be heard. I'm damn sure of it. :)

sparq
12-28-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by kicker1_solo
I had 4 of them in my prelude, and I shattered one of my windows in it. I hit 155.2 DBs which is really good in competition level. Even when I had 2 subs in there I had the loudest system in my town. If you have the right amp, you will be heard. I'm damn sure of it. :)
But dont forget that it takes ALOT more then just a pair of woofers in order to have a boomin system. The amp, all the wires, and head unit are all also important choices when looking for a system.

As a little example, me and my buddy installed an Audiobahn AW1200x into his sisters car. It was in a normal sealed box, and we were running it with 700 rms ~ its recommended power. We turned it up some and it shook everything so hard it shook a ladder off the wall in the garage ~ and that was with just ONE 12" subwooofer!

If you are looking for BOOM, look at a MINIMUM of around 350 watts RMS per woofer ~ but again its all depending on the setup. You way want more, it all depends on the vehicle and the woofers, box, etc.

GSteg
12-28-2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by sparq

But dont forget that it takes ALOT more then just a pair of woofers in order to have a boomin system. The amp, all the wires, and head unit are all also important choices when looking for a system.

As a little example, me and my buddy installed an Audiobahn AW1200x into his sisters car. It was in a normal sealed box, and we were running it with 700 rms ~ its recommended power. We turned it up some and it shook everything so hard it shook a ladder off the wall in the garage ~ and that was with just ONE 12" subwooofer!

If you are looking for BOOM, look at a MINIMUM of around 350 watts RMS per woofer ~ but again its all depending on the setup. You way want more, it all depends on the vehicle and the woofers, box, etc.

Sparq knows it all!!:frog:

94civic
12-28-2001, 06:26 PM
sparq, how about the jl w6's they're 300 watts rms will these be plenty because i heard that they rate their power levels lower than it should be. Also whats a good amp to use on these subs and how much power should i put to each sub maximum. I was thinking about the lanzar or power acoustik amps.

94civic
12-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Also where can i find those obcon boxes? Is there a site where can i buy it from.

xivera
12-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by GSteg
Sparq knows it all!!:frog:
Exactly...
It all depends primarily on the whole install... Of course, having some good subs and amps would help, too. :)

ACCSlvCivic
12-28-2001, 07:36 PM
sparq, how about the jl w6's they're 300 watts rms will these be plenty because i heard that they rate their power levels lower than it should be. Also whats a good amp to use on these subs and how much power should i put to each sub maximum. I was thinking about the lanzar or power acoustik amps.

there's 2 ways to make a loud system:
1) pump a lot of power through a strong speaker
2) pump a little power through a very sensative speaker.

i have 2 JL 10w0s and a 200 watt amp turned to about half way... (i'd go higher but i need dynamat first, too many rattles) and my system kicks the crap out of my friend with 2x 12 pioneers with a 400 watt amp powering them.

94civic
12-28-2001, 07:50 PM
what i wanna know is if the w6' can take more than 600 watts each no problem, because i'm planning on running close to 1,000 watts a sub.

ACCSlvCivic
12-28-2001, 07:56 PM
what i wanna know is if the w6' can take more than 600 watts each no problem, because i'm planning on running close to 1,000 watts a sub.

with the JL 12W6s... 1000 watts would blow your eardrums! Save the money on the amps, spend the money on the JL 12w6s and a great head unit or cap. Also if you are running that much power your whole car is going to rattle like crazy.. i'd suggest investing in dynamat or something comperable to keep your crap from rattling like crazy. With that much bass, you won't even be able to hear the highs unless you've got a huge amp powering some kappa perfects or mb quarts componets.

LjasonL
12-29-2001, 02:40 AM
the jl 12w6 will take 1000 watts per sub with no problems. i had a 12w0 that is rated at 125 max and i gave it 840 from a power acoustik amp and it never complained, so a w6 will DEFINATELY handle it, and no doubt 2 w6s with a good amp will give the bass u want. try a memphis audio amp like a 1000 watt, give 500 watts to each, i know u said u wanted to give it more but that will be PLENTY for the jls, i know a guy with 3 jl 12w3 running off a memphis 1000 amp, but one channel on the amp is messed up so he has all 3 hooked up to a single 500 watt channel and 500 watts from that amp to those subs, u can feel the bass from 15 feet away with all the windows up and its clear too. i could only imagine 2 12w6 with the full 1000 watts.

spy54
12-29-2001, 03:37 AM
hey ACCSlvCivic your car sucks! ahaha hey whats up man
why not get a couple w7's lol thiose are insane but i agree it all depends on how you use it

94civic
12-29-2001, 11:57 AM
basically this is what my system is going to consist of:Pioneer dehp930 hu, Pioneer digital equlizer, 6.5" infinity component system. 6x9" infinity 3 way speaker, 3 jl audio w6's in a obcon box(ported), lanzar 1200watt 2ch amp for two subs, lanzar 600watt 2ch amp bridged for one sub, digital crossover,Audiobahn digital 2 farad capacitor, 100-150 amp altenator,optima deep cycle battery, 150 amp circuit breaker, 500 watt lanzar 4ch amp to power the regular speakers.

let me know if there is something i should avoid in the list or if there is something i should change.

94civic
12-29-2001, 11:58 AM
oh and i forgot a shit load of dynamat and the quality wiring i can find. also how can you mess up your altenator with your system, what do you have to do so it can mess up.

kicker1_solo
12-29-2001, 01:03 PM
oh and i forgot a shit load of dynamat and the quality wiring i can find. also how can you mess up your altenator with your system, what do you have to do so it can mess up. if you have a lot of power going through your car, then your lights will dim and stuff like that when the bass hits. That's why when most people get big systems, they have to upgrade their altenator, you might want to check up on that. And the system sounds like it's gonna rock, get some pics up here after you get it all together. :)

leonard
12-29-2001, 05:05 PM
WELL AS IT IS.IF YOU WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO HEAR YOUR HIFI
OPEN YOUR OWN NIGHT CLUB .THINK ABOUT IT THE MORE SOUND YOU HEAR OUTSIDE THE CAR. MEANS THE MORE SOUND YOU LOSE FOR YOURSELF INSIDE. I BUILT A 150+DB GOLF WITH 2 12" THE WERE RATED AT 300RMS BUT WHEN CAR WAS SHUT YOU COULD NOT HEAR IT. ONLY A VERY SLIGHT RUMBLE COULD BE FELT. ALOT DEPENDS ON BOX DESIGN.BUT EVRY ONE TO THERE OWN I SUPOSE .I LOVE QUALITY AND LOUD SO I OPTED TO KEEP THE SOUND IN ME CAR NOT OUTSIDE IT :confused:

leonard
12-29-2001, 05:13 PM
WELL AS IT IS.IF YOU WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO HEAR YOUR HIFI
OPEN YOUR OWN NIGHT CLUB .THINK ABOUT IT THE MORE SOUND YOU HEAR OUTSIDE THE CAR. MEANS THE MORE SOUND YOU LOSE FOR YOURSELF INSIDE. I BUILT A 150+DB GOLF WITH 2 12" THE WERE RATED AT 300RMS BUT WHEN CAR WAS SHUT YOU COULD NOT HEAR IT. ONLY A VERY SLIGHT RUMBLE COULD BE FELT. ALOT DEPENDS ON BOX DESIGN.BUT EVRY ONE TO THERE OWN I SUPOSE .I LOVE QUALITY AND LOUD SO I OPTED TO KEEP THE SOUND IN ME CAR NOT OUTSIDE IT :confused:

kicker1_solo
12-29-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by leonard
THINK ABOUT IT THE MORE SOUND YOU HEAR OUTSIDE THE CAR. MEANS THE MORE SOUND YOU LOSE FOR YOURSELF INSIDE. I BUILT A 150+DB GOLF WITH 2 12" THE WERE RATED AT 300RMS BUT WHEN CAR WAS SHUT YOU COULD NOT HEAR IT. ONLY A VERY SLIGHT RUMBLE COULD BE FELT. ummm.....no. It has to be louder in the car before it can be louder outside of the car. So the louder it is outside the car, then the louder it will be inside of the car. My car was hella loud outside, but you could not sit in it without your head feeling like it's about to explode. If he's going to have it that loud outside of the car, it's definately going to be extremely loud inside of the car.

cybercrx00
12-29-2001, 06:31 PM
A couple of things you might consider changing are going with 6.5 component or coaxial set instead of 6x9's....in my opinion 6x9 sound like crap....also instead of wasting money on two lanzar amps.....find one really good class d mono amp that is 1 ohm stable and puts out about 1200 rms....pheonix gold and directed both make nice amps.....i had 2 12w6's on an alpine 1507 which was alright but i couldn't bridge my subs to mono si i think i was only getting around 250 watts rms to each and it managed 139dB with no dynamat or sound deadening in my 99 civic

dreemkill
01-01-2002, 02:55 PM
those 10w0s are somethin else....i had 3 of em just before i replaced em with 4 audiobahns, with a 1000w explode amp (giving them 300w) they hit HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD
but i rattle too much also ://

tho i gotta say, one of my audiobahn 12s are louder than the 3 w0s ;//

Originally posted by ACCSlvCivic

there's 2 ways to make a loud system:
1) pump a lot of power through a strong speaker
2) pump a little power through a very sensative speaker.

i have 2 JL 10w0s and a 200 watt amp turned to about half way... (i'd go higher but i need dynamat first, too many rattles) and my system kicks the crap out of my friend with 2x 12 pioneers with a 400 watt amp powering them.

kicker1_solo
01-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by dreemkill

tho i gotta say, one of my audiobahn 12s are louder than the 3 w0s ;//

and my W6s are louder than your audiobahn 12s :D

GSteg
01-01-2002, 09:58 PM
and my W6s are louder than your audiobahn 12s :D .

and my 8" pioneers is louder than your W6's:flipa: :finger: :devil: :silly2:

dreemkill
01-02-2002, 02:55 AM
................ok................. and those are JL W6s.....which arent w0s.....
whats your point?
i was comparing MY previous setup, to MY current setup....not saying mine is better than anyone elses.....so........was that necessary? didnt think so..

and my W6s are louder than your audiobahn 12s :D

LjasonL
01-02-2002, 02:56 AM
i dont think any pioneer could be louder than even an 8w6

cowgod
01-02-2002, 11:20 AM
hook up a bandpass box with twin 10" JL's or MTX's ... and twin 12"'s in a sealed box ... powered by a 1200Watt amp ...

You guys in the states have it easy ... prices and products on every corner ...

Us ... up here in Canada ... we pay 70 $$ for a sub you guys get for 30 $$ ... it sucks ... our systems are more costly up here ...

I'm gonna be bridging over a 1000 watt amp to my setup in the spring with 2 other 12"s ... total of 5 subs ...

MAKE YOUR OWN BOXES ... !! be creative ... don't be a punk bitch ! ...
anyone can buy an encloser ... but custom your own ... you'll learn more !!

twin 10's 480's
triplets 12's 550's
damn ... can't wait

CoWgOd

kicker1_solo
01-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by dreemkill
................ok................. and those are JL W6s.....which arent w0s.....
whats your point?
i was comparing MY previous setup, to MY current setup....not saying mine is better than anyone elses.....so........was that necessary? didnt think so..

I was just playing, chill :)

Add your comment to this topic!