Who is Miles Irish?

mini magic
01-28-2004, 10:42 AM
I've heard his name associated with importing McLarens a few times? Anyone know who he is?

teflon
01-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I first heard of him on Joan Lunden's show "Behind Closed Doors: Ferrari". He and Cliff Meltzer were at the 2003(?) LA autoshow inspecting an Enzo. They were introduced as Ferrari collectors. She said they owned around 10 Ferraris each.

Greg A

teflon
01-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately, I have not come upon any McLaren related dealings. This is an excerpt from the "San Antonio Express News". Here is a link to the complete article: Roddy Stinson: About those Spillman Ferraris...did anybody get a steal? (http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xlc=1035115) Web Posted : 08/05/2003 12:00 AM

...In December 2001, Miles Irish, a Los Angeles financial adviser, purchased the following:

1991 Ferrari F-40, $230,000
1979 Ferrari 512 Boxer, $20,200
1984 Ferrari 308/288 GTO (Clone), $25,200
1970s Lola 332 Race Car, $10,200
1970s Shadow Race Car, $5,200

All the sales were handled by Barrett Motor Cars (now Barrett Jaguar).

According to an Oct. 26, 2001, Express-News report by columnist Rick Casey, the Barrett firm "was contacted by DA Susan Reed when her office seized the cars. She felt that (Barrett officials) knew the market and could get a better price than the sheriff's auction."

Barrett Motors received a 5-percent commission on the sales.

Efforts to contact the buyers were mostly unsuccessful. (The phone numbers provided for Harvey and Mohr were "no longer in service.")

However, Miles Irish answered his L.A. phone, and he talked at length about his high-dollar purchases.

"I have a passion for anything automotive," he said, explaining his interest in the Spillman cars. "And my hobby is buying and selling Ferraris.

"A friend of mine who's a car broker called me and said, 'Do you want to buy an F-40 Ferrari?'

"I bought (the F-40), and then the San Antonio dealership called me (to offer the other cars), and I bought one and a friend of mine bought the others."

When asked if the F-40 was a steal, Irish bristled and said:

"I paid the guys who brought it to me $15,000. Then when it got here, it had some serious problems that cost me 15 grand to fix. So I put at least $260,000 in it.

"I can buy an F-40 in L.A. today for $230,000!"

(Oh, the pain.)

Whether the Californian got snookered or simply enjoys pulling a Texas newspaperman's leg, I can't say. But it's doubtful that he got either a raw deal or a steal.

As for any insider wheeling and dealing ...

"I assure you I'm not kin to anyone in the state of Texas," Irish said.

End of conspiracy theory.

This investigation would have been more interesting if Irish had turned out to be Susan Reed's nephew. But I could find no connection between him and the DA or any other courthouse official, past or present.

In fact, after considerable sleuthing, I can say with considerable confidence that Irish and the other buyers paid fair market prices for the Spillman vehicles and should not be tainted by suspicion, speculation or rumor of politico consanguinity.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To contact Roddy Stinson, call (210) 250-3155 or e-mail rstinson@express-news.net. His column appears on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Greg A

Peloton25
01-28-2004, 12:24 PM
There is an old post in this forum by tvrfreak where he mentions Miles' name in association with Dan Kennedy's McLaren.

>8^)
ER

mini magic
01-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks teflon. Peloton, thanks for the tip, i'll try to find it.

mini magic
01-28-2004, 06:00 PM
how was it innacurate?

teflon
01-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Never mind.

Greg A

Add your comment to this topic!