Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

squealing noise in the cold

jmarwill
01-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Hello-

I hear a slight sqealing noise from the bottom of my car (drive train) only when it is cold (< 40 degrees) and only when I am coasting- the sound goes away when I accelerate.

I was told that my drive train needed to be lubricated, but the squealing did not go away after the drivetrain was lubed. I drive a '99 4Runner Limited 4X4.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Jeff

oldbluecelica
02-05-2004, 07:56 PM
my celica dose that too, but it was the power stering pump. i guess its worth taken a look at, make sure its full of fluid.it worked for me.

jimbo3san
11-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Jmarwill,

I have a '99 4R Limited with the *EXACT* same problem. Did you resovle this problem? If so what was it? I am dying to find out.

It has recently became cold here and it just starting doing this about a couple of weeks ago. It is driving me crazy.

I too have recently lubed the driveline and u-joints and it didn't help.

Thanks!

Jim B.

Brian R.
11-22-2004, 10:38 PM
I have heard fan belts that make noises like that.

jimbo3san
11-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Brian R. - I have heard fan belts that make noises like that.

That was my first thought too. I haven't checked them but the symptoms don't point to this location (engine area)...I will indeed check them out.

Funny thing is that this only happens when:

1) It is cold... less than 40 degrees. Today in Utah it is about 45...and it isn't doing it. And..

2) When the vehicle is above 20mph and *not* accelerating (no drive pressure). It only makes the noise when I let off of the gas pedal...I have popped it in neutral to see if it is related to the transmission being in gear...doesn't change anything.

3) Also note worthy: The noise does go away after about 5-6 minuets of running...in other words, something "warms up" after a bit and it goes away...

I open the window to see if I can hear where it is coming from and it distinctly sounds like it is coming from underneath the car in the middle...I could very well be wrong...The noise doesn't seem to be related to the engine. It sounds like a bearing going out. The car has 52K on it right now so I can't imagine it would be that.

The bearing in the xfer case? The double-cardan U-joints? Differentail flannge? Front drive line?

Any ideas?

I will let you know what I find on the belts.

Thanks a ton!

Jim B.

Brian R.
11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Try removing the rear propellor shaft. Drive it slowly a short while like that and see if removing it gets rid of the noise. (Mark the position with respect to rotation on both the bolt flanges at either end to reinstall them perfectly). It may be that by working on them, you may also see the problem, like something rubbing on them or a loose cover. Since putting the transmission in neutral doesn't get rid of the noise, then it must be from the transmission to the differentials somewhere. I guess you've driven it in 2WD and the noise continued...

If removing the propellor shaft (or running in 2WD get rid of the noise, it is a bad cardan joint or u-joint on the shaft that fixed the problem.

If this doesn't get rid of the noise, and nothing is rubbing on the shafts, then we'll think some more...

(My best guess it is a transfer case seal which you should leave alone unless it leaks)

Not for nothing, check the fluid level in the transfer case.

deji
12-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I have a 99 limited. I also noticed the squealing exactly as described. It happens when the car is cold, and as soon as the car warms up it goes away. Today in Maryland the temperature was very low and the car did not stop squealing.

A few weeks back, I asked the dealership to take a look, but after a test drive of the vehicle, they did not hear the squealing. If any one has found the cause and solution to this problem, please let me know

deji
01-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Hello-

I hear a slight sqealing noise from the bottom of my car (drive train) only when it is cold (< 40 degrees) and only when I am coasting- the sound goes away when I accelerate.

I was told that my drive train needed to be lubricated, but the squealing did not go away after the drivetrain was lubed. I drive a '99 4Runner Limited 4X4.

-Jeff

Where you able to solve the squealing problem? I'm interested in the solution. Thanks for the reply!

4Wheel
01-17-2005, 11:43 AM
When the noise is happening turn the streering wheel back an forth, see if these changes the noise at all. If it does what you have done is caused the front wheels to "wiggle" with the paly of the bearings and you can try looking there, breaks or pad wear indicators. interesting problem, do keep us posted if any of you resolve this.

jimbo3san
01-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Deji,

If your problem is the same as mine you need to grease the double cardan u-joints or the front propeller shaft. That is what mine ended up being. I originally greased them but I was too cautious and didn't put enough...(too much is a bad thing...so we are told but one does have to make sure that they put enough in to start with).

I believe that the colder temperatures make the noise worse.

To solve and diagnose my problem (this was the advise of my neigbor who is a Toyota mechanic at a dealership in Salt Lake City) I first greased the rear u-joints only. But squealing noise was still there...brought it back and greased the double cardan u-joints (put quite a bit more than I did the first time) as well as greased the front propeller shaft (lots-a-grease here...lots!).

All said and done this took me all of 15 minutes.

After doing this the problem went away and hasn't been heard of since. Utah is really cold lately and the noise is gone.

Grease them joints up good I say...but not too much.

This should solve your problem if it was the same as mine.

Best of luck and let us know what the result was.

Jim B.

surfjim
01-20-2005, 03:19 PM
I had a similar problem, only when very cold, and it turned out that the wheel bearings were bad...once I drove it a bit, the grease became viscous and the noise vanished.

Hello-

-Jeff

Add your comment to this topic!