Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Random Mix of Car Audio Questions.

B-radScottyT
01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Alright people, I just need a few small questions cleared up and some advice.

First off, I've heard of people using polyfill (I think that's what its called) to artifically increase the size of the box that a sub is in. How much should I use? Fill the whole box? Half-way full? If I use a denser material, will the artifical size increase or just deaden the sound? Is there any other material I could use that would give a cleaner, crisper sound? Btw, the reason I'm asking is I'm going to be building a box for 2 15's in the t-top well of a '95 Camaro and space is limited, very limited.

Second, I have a Jl 500/1 amp that is currently pushing 2 Volfenhagen 15's. These are 4-ohm Dvc subs. The final load on the amp is 4-ohm. (Each sub's voicecoil is wired parrell and then both subs are wired in a series.) Supposidly each sub can handle 600/rms (I doubt..) so I only have the amp turned barely below halfway on the input gain to avoid the amp overheating from the subs drawing too much power. However, even with this amp turned that low, after a few mins (probally around 15) the amp will kick off until I turn the radio off and back on. (Have the input sensing turn on, no remote wire.) Would you add a fan to the casing to help cool the amp? I have a fan from an old computer power supply and I was thinking of cutting into the undercasing and adding that in there. Would that help any to prevent the amp from cutting out so soon?

Third, how good are these Volfenhagen subs? I know they aren't very expensive on ebay but I figure they should work ok till I can afford something better.

Thanks

Haibane
01-27-2004, 07:29 PM
2 15" audiobahns in a sealed 3 cube box. 600 watts rms each. SVCs solve your problems, lol.

$330+shipping cost.

ToyTundra
01-27-2004, 10:19 PM
First off, I've heard of people using polyfill (I think that's what its called) to artifically increase the size of the box that a sub is in. How much should I use? Fill the whole box? Half-way full?

the stuff i got from Crutchfield said 1 to 1.5 lbs of stuffing per cubic foot. When i filled my .6 cubic foot box it seemed like i put too much in but the weight said i didn't. i am happy with the results, but i would perfer a ported box

loismustdie
01-28-2004, 07:26 PM
what is it with you and audiobahn haibane?
i guess everyone has their preferences, but for 330 , you can get better subs than audiobahn.

i'd say two tempests 150 apiece, and better than audiobahn, and their 15's and i think haibane would go with these over audiobahn. plus they don't look as poser like as the audiobahn's.

i guess i'm done venting...............

Haibane
01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
What's with me and audiobahn's? I am trying to sell mine. Which happen to be 2 15" audiobahns in a sealed 3 cube box...

GSteg
01-28-2004, 09:32 PM
yea..he does have a box already made. :(

ssooo..i think 320 sounds fair. ;)

loismustdie
01-29-2004, 02:51 PM
i didn't say it wasn't fair, if you have them for sale i understand

Haibane
01-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I actually think audiobahns are great starter subwoofers to find out what you like more... SPL or SQ...

Add your comment to this topic!