Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard Starting

charlies2
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I have a 1994 Rodeo here lately I have been having problems starting.
Symptoms: If it does not start on first attempt about 5 seconds, I have to keep the starter engauged for a long period of time finally it will start but 9 time out of 10 the check transmission light will come on. I will leave the engine run for about 5 to 10 minutes and cut off and restart the check transmission light will go off. I have replaced the plugs, plug wires. I also took it to the local Isuzu dealer and they put it on the machine and could not find anything wrong. Your suggestion would be appreciated.

amigo-2k
01-27-2004, 02:33 PM
I would go with bad battery, or bad battery connections or bad battery ground to the frame.

Longer start could be due to a clogged fuel filter, weak spark due to a weak battery or bad ground.

The tranny light could be due to the bad ground/weak battery causing the tranny computer not getting the correct voltage and then it tosses a code.

So if your battery is older then 4yrs, replace it, clean up your battery ground to the frame and replace the fuel filter and all should be well (hopefully)

-Ryan

charlies2
01-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks Ryan, I have replace the fuel filter when I did the plugs. It sounds or appears that it's not getting any fuel at first startup.I will check the battery and ground cable.

amigo-2k
01-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Ever have the fuel injectors cleaned? Might be worth the 100 buck to have them professionally cleaned.

Also, I would recommend a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate every 3k or so to help out.

KitCatJMS
01-31-2004, 09:12 AM
I know this may sound silly, but mine was doing that because the key was getting worn down ... I had to the hold the key a certain way in order for it to start the first time. It sounded almost like the battery was dying or possibly the alternator, but it was just the stupid key ....

Add your comment to this topic!