Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Window and Lock Problems

Cycoco
01-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Hi, I recently acquired a 1996 Honda Accord EX (4 Door Sedan) and have noticed a couple problems on the driver door.

1) The automatic window is really slow moving on the door (even slower than the other windows which are not speedy either) and makes a funny noise when moving up. It seems to have the most problems when going up and sometimes doesn't want to move at all. On any other window this wouldnt bother me, but it causes a problem at drive thrus. Do I need to replace the window motor/regulator? If so, how hard is it to replace it?

2) Another problem I encountered I have no ideas what the problem is, and has me baffled - The driver door lock. If the doors are closed the locks work fine. But if the driver door is open, the lock triess to go down by it only goes a little and pops up. I found that if I am pulling on the door handle when I hit the lock button, it will work then. I tried on the other doors, and they all work normal. What is causing the lock to do this? I plan on installing a remote keyless entry on the car, but I am not sure how quick I will be able to get this done.

scarecrowdjinn
01-28-2004, 10:11 AM
hey Cycoco,

question one, i'd take off the door and see what's going on, it sounds like maybe your window has slid partly off the track?

your second question is one asked by alot of first time accord owners.
your locks are working fine, it's a safty feature so that you don't accdently lock your keys in your car. (I think) To lock your car you have to either lift up on the outside handle and hit the button. or just use the key to lock it once the door is closed (this is what i do).

as for installing a remote keyless entery, I've never delt with it so hopefuly someone else could give you more information on it.

Cycoco
01-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Ok, thx for the help. Sometimes I wonder who comes up with these "features" lol. Well, I guess it will be one of those things I will get used to.

ajdragonf
01-29-2004, 10:38 AM
I have a 5th generation Honda Accord, and my car does the same thing. I installed a 2 way security system in my car and I have to lock my doors manually from the outside, i'm going to fix the problem soon, I'll let you know what happens...my window does the same thing..damn annoying! I will have it fixed by spring!

unknownforever
01-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Yeah same problem here...the driver window is slow but my does not stop, its' just slow :) and the lock, that's how are lock are, I got use to that method and lock every cars of mine that way now :) but yeah i do think that's a good way to lock your car it help you not to leave your keys in the car

sum_gai
01-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the world of crappy 5th gen power accesories! :tongue:

A little grease on the tracks helps immensly for the windows. Also, if you take the door panels on and off often, I've noticed that the little metal tab that goes in the window slot gets bent up and slows the window down. A file and some rocking back and forth solves that one.

Haven't figured out anything about the locks, though. They trip out constantly - only thing to do is probably replace the actuators.

Cycoco
01-30-2004, 10:04 PM
I just got a CrimeStopper CS2002DC Car Alarm/Keyless Entry that I will attempt to install over the weekend, so I don't think I will need to worry about the lock "feature". Though, I think all you need to do is reverse the polarity on the doorpin (Black/White wire according to Crimestopper TechWeb) and it should think the door is closed when it is really open, though this will make it so you can't lock the door when it really is closed...

As for the windows, I think I will try putting a little grease on the track. I don't know about the previous owner, but I hanv't yet taken the panel off so I don't think there will be a tab bent, but I will still check that out.

Thanks for all the replies, they have helped alot.

1990240sx
11-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Any luck with the keyless entry? Let me know, I am thinking about installing Keyless on my 97 Accord. Let me know

96accordboi
01-25-2005, 07:10 PM
can any one explain to me about the actuators or what ever and how much they cost also where can i get some

mpumas
01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Actutators are best purchased at a junk yard. Windows that are slow are best lubicrated with some silcone spray on the window channels.

Ehscrewdude
01-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Did you check the teeth on the track? I once read that the teeth on the gear that lifts up the window can get worn down and cause it to go slow, jump around, or just stop. And yea, the lock thing is easy to get used to and helps out in the long run. It's kind of an aqcuired skill to pull the handle and lock it, I think it's better than just being able to lock it with the door open... then you wont accidentally bump it, get out of the car, close the door to go around to the other side and notice ur locked out...

RockyTopA/S
01-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Here are the (most likely) answers your questions:

1) For your drivers side window, look at the window ruber in the corner near your mirror. A lot of times this ruber will bunch-up and cause the window to travel slowly. If that is not the case, take some silicone spray and spray it down the rubber in the window tracks.

2) The drivers door lock thing is a safety thing, so that you won't lock yourself out. In my experience of dealing with 100's and 100's of Accords, some of them do it and some don't. I had to get used to pulling the handle and locking the door, but after a while you get used to it.

I hope that this helps a bit.

Add your comment to this topic!