Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New owner of 1993 GMC Jimmy

kirrer
01-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Hello all, just started reading up on the board. Mine is a 4.3L 4x4 1993 GMC Jimmy SLS. Just brought it home today.

Anyways, I just wanted to see what I could find out about maintenance. Whats the best oil to use? The best spark plugs? Transmission fluid? Anyone have a lift kit? Whats the best, how much does it run?

What are common problems with the series that I should look out for?

Any other general information you think I should know, please do let me know. I hope to make this truck last a while, bringing fun and all that good stuff in the meantime.

airforceone
01-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Things on these trucks includes valve guides, which tend tend to cause the truck to burn oil at startup. I use Quaker state 4x4 Synthetic in my 1992 with 102,000 on the clock. I will be getting a lift for mine (2 inch Superlift, around $500 and fits 31s). Trailmaster makes a 4 or 5 inch lift for the Blazers, that one is $1000+ and fits 32s, 33s with trimming. Currently, I have 30x9.5.15 Yokohama Geolander At/IIs on mine, they fit with no rub and offer excellent traction on all surfaces, to include snow. Armor Rex makes a nice cheap grilleguard that provides a perfect place to mount a pair of off road lamps.

mjohn
01-27-2004, 02:11 PM
kirrer...
I am interested do you have a W for the 8th digit in your VIN number? I will hold my breath while I await your reply...?

kirrer
01-27-2004, 02:44 PM
kirrer...
I am interested do you have a W for the 8th digit in your VIN number? I will hold my breath while I await your reply...?

I do. Is this bad or good? You've been holding your breath for a while, sorry bout that ;-)

mjohn
01-27-2004, 05:27 PM
kirrer...
It is not good ... I too have a 1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3 Wseries...I just got it back 2 hours ago...my friendly mechanic...installed the new CPI Unit...then found leaking in the internal fuel lines inside the intake...$165. labor...How many miles do you have on your truck?

kirrer
01-27-2004, 08:28 PM
kirrer...
It is not good ... I too have a 1993 GMC Jimmy 4.3 Wseries...I just got it back 2 hours ago...my friendly mechanic...installed the new CPI Unit...then found leaking in the internal fuel lines inside the intake...$165. labor...How many miles do you have on your truck?

its got 154K on it - engine runs strong, its the transmission im worried about. I'm trying to change out the trans fluid, but to get the pan off there is this bar that holds up the back end of the tranny, and the bar is in the way. I need to get it off, but the bolts are rusted on - I tried liquid wrench (not actually, i just cant remember the name of what I used), and no such luck. I'm gonna try heating it up but the damn propane torch won't light. perhaps I am missing something - oh well.

Thanks for the info on the repair, though! Take care!

june princess
02-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Hello all, just started reading up on the board. Mine is a 4.3L 4x4 1993 GMC Jimmy SLS. Just brought it home today.

Anyways, I just wanted to see what I could find out about maintenance. Whats the best oil to use? The best spark plugs? Transmission fluid? Anyone have a lift kit? Whats the best, how much does it run?

What are common problems with the series that I should look out for?

Any other general information you think I should know, please do let me know. I hope to make this truck last a while, bringing fun and all that good stuff in the meantime.

I have a 93 - what a P.O.S. - lets just say 11 months and well over $4,000 later i am getting rid of it! I think i have replaced everything possible and then some!!

june princess
02-26-2004, 02:55 PM
I have a 93 - what a P.O.S. - lets just say 11 months and well over $4,000 later i am getting rid of it! I think i have replaced everything possible and then some!!

crazycowprod
03-05-2004, 06:14 PM
its got 154K on it - engine runs strong, its the transmission im worried about. I'm trying to change out the trans fluid, but to get the pan off there is this bar that holds up the back end of the tranny, and the bar is in the way. I need to get it off, but the bolts are rusted on - I tried liquid wrench (not actually, i just cant remember the name of what I used), and no such luck. I'm gonna try heating it up but the damn propane torch won't light. perhaps I am missing something - oh well.

Thanks for the info on the repair, though! Take care!

you are very right to be worried about the transmission. this forum is full of transmission woes. my 93 jimmy killed a tranny about a month ago at 170K. the motors will run forever... the remainder of the truck however...

nevertheless, i just bought another 93 blazer...

with 80K, though...

i just can't get enough....

good luck

ad6kb
10-05-2004, 02:01 PM
I bought a 93 Blazer with 143k on it. All the maintenence receipts ingreat shape. One week later through a connecting rod through oil pan and cracked black. $5000 later, one Goodwrench crate motor. There was no warning on the failure, just BOOM

kirrer
10-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Holy old thread, batman! I've sold my Jimmy, bought a Subaru, been engaged, held three jobs, had the girl break off the engagement, come back to school, and been a bachelor for a month SINCE this thread has last been replied to! Damn!

BlazerLT
10-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Lmao!

ad6kb
10-19-2004, 04:54 PM
yeah yeah yeah. I noticed that AFTER I sent it.

So bite me

OldieButGoodie92
10-20-2004, 10:35 AM
my my how time flys

Add your comment to this topic!