Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Switching rear ends?

tardster
01-26-2004, 12:52 AM
I have an 82 Z28 its got a 350 thats been decked out abit(30 over, 3/4 racing cam, heads shaved a 10th, gear drive, Edlebrock 650 double pumper, Hooker headers, etc. etc), now what I would like to do is put rear disk brakes on it so my ? is should I just go find a used Camaro rear end that has disk brakes and put that in and if so which one or go through the hastle of trying to do the conversion if there is one?

89IROC&RS
01-26-2004, 01:33 AM
you could try finding a wrecked IROC or firebird GTA, and take the rear end brakes off one of those. complete with lines and hook ups. and mounting brakets. as far as aftermarket conversions, youcould check with baer brakes, and stanless steel brake co. maybe a web search, but i was lucky enough to find one that has them stock, so i dont realy ahve to worry bout it. so i dont know.

tardster
01-26-2004, 02:36 PM
So I should go find one in a junk yard that already has the disk brakes on it and get the whole rearend right and cut the brake line that go to it ? Also does it matter what year it comes out of or will any Camaro rearend with disk brakes work?

89IROC&RS
01-26-2004, 08:04 PM
well, the junk yard is always a good place, just have to judge the condition of the parts. find a camaro that was in a front end collision and totaled, and the butt end should be intact. but dont cut the brake lines, trace them back, and disconnect them. im not exactly sure, but i think they should connect to the same place as drum brake lines. so save yourself a whole helluva lot of hassle, and dont needlessly cut them. as far as years, obviously the same year if possible is desireable. but any third gen, and possibly the fourth gens, but im not sure about the fourth to third gen interchangeablity in that area. you probly wont have to replace the whole rear end, but chanecs are that the rear with disk brakes has a posi unit in it. so you should probly yoink that while your at it.

Chevyracincamaro
01-26-2004, 10:00 PM
ive been lookin into the rear disk conversion for the last couple of days now. getting the entire rear axle is the thing to do. i was hoping i could just go in and get the brackets, calipers, and rotors but it would seem that the axle shafts are different also. plus its my understanding that your gonna need a new e-brake cable as well.

Add your comment to this topic!