Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Buick LeSaber 3800 Dies in Traffic

Waterdogger
01-26-2004, 12:45 AM
:banghead: I have a '92 LeSabre 3800, the service engine light came on the Dealership said diagnostic showed no codes...so driving it home the Climate control started shifting from defrost to maxair to heater to off to defroster...so took it back to the dealership and they said the Climate control head in the dash was out and had taken out a fresh air door motor...$586 for the parts and $1200 for the labor...I took it to a Mechanic buddy he replaced the Oxygen senser on the exhaust...300 miles away from home it stalled on the Interstate drifted it to the side of the road in the hot summer sun and sat for an hour... It would crank okay but not start then it started up and no problems for a week...then the service engine light came on. Took the car to another Mechanic and diagnostic showed no codes. He said no codes pointed to a faulty positive pressure fuel pump sensor...so I replaced the fuel pump, sensor, and inline fuel filter then the car won't start at all. So we check for codes again none show up. So we replace the ECM Prom, Water Temp sensor, and the Car seems to run okay around town then it dies in traffic...but starts up in an hour. Any way here is the Service Number 16141470 on the ECM it has one green and two blue harness connectors. Also this '92 LeSabre has a DSI security package integrated...could it be at fault? If so how do I remove the DSI package. Any ideas would be appriciated.

RABarrett
01-27-2004, 08:31 AM
It frequently happens that the problem exists that defies the computer to put a label on it. Problems such as these are tough to locate at best. Typically, these problems include cam and crank sensors, airflow meters, ignition modules, etc. Under these conditions, it is best to check the most likely sources w/ an o'scope, looking at the waveforms. Though the most frequent, and easiest to fix are the connection, ground issues, which should always be checked first. Ford calls it the wiggle test, I call it necessary. The dealerships are typically the ones least able to help; they typically have little concern for the tech, leaving him to hold the bag. Ray

Flatrater
01-27-2004, 07:17 PM
I would be more inclined to say you have a bad crank sensor! Usually they get hot and open circuit once cooled down they show no problem. he key to finding your problem is to get it to act up for the tech. I would advice you let the tech drive it home and see if he can find the problem then. No all problems are covered under trouble codes! For instance if you crank sensor is open the computer just think the engine is off and would not set a code.

FallenFast1
02-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Did you check for a bad gas cap? Time to die varies by how much fuel is the tank when it cant vent.

Add your comment to this topic!