Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

looking for an accurate 69 camaro kit...

Flea
01-25-2004, 01:35 PM
i have picked up 4 kits so far and none of them are very accurate ... the problem i am having is i want one that has a non RS front end ... there are several accurate RS ones .. but the non RS grill is always wrong ... not deep enough etc ... does anyone know of a company that makes one that is accurate ? ... or a resin caster that has the parts to change a RS kit over to a normal one ... (scale isn't important ... )

digitalbanzai
01-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Well, all of the Revell/Monogram kits are about as good as it gets, they have been re-boxed and re-boxed for years now, you can get the RS, there is an old SS out there, than there is the Baldwin-Motion Camaro, not too familiar with this kit. There is also AModeling Tragedy version that is, well, a good way to start a fire...plus there is the Motorworks Camaro at Wal-Mart which is a re-package of an olllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllld Revell kit with hard plastic two piece tires, and it looks like a battleship or a "Fat Man" nuclear bomb. You'll have to improvise and do some cutting on the Revell grill to get the best result, unless you want to buy a ridiculously-expensive resin kit off of the internet.

Flea
01-25-2004, 02:07 PM
i have a few versons of the revell/monogram one and the amt junk ... the problem with all of them is this .. the nose isn't quite long enough .. and the grill area isn't deep enough ...

haven't found any of the resin kits while doing a search on the net .

tonioseven
01-25-2004, 02:12 PM
The Revell kits are the best ones to be found anywhere.

Flea
01-25-2004, 02:20 PM
The Revell kits are the best ones to be found anywhere.

it is likely me being to critical .. when i hold it up next to my 1:1 69 camaro in the garage i notice several differences that to me are major ... (main one being the grill area)

Layla's Keeper
01-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, like digitalbanzai said, there's two different Revell-Monogram 1969 Camaro kits. And yes, one is horribly inaccurate.

The older one, that was reissued under the Motorworks name, was done by Monogram in the late 70's, early 80's, right before they released their also inaccurate 1970 Chevelle SS454 kit (sadly, the most accurate 1970 SS454 Chevelle kit on the market is a Revell snapkit). It's been issued as a Z28 and as the Rampage Street Machine. Either or, it's a low detail piece with a body that looks oversquare and cartoonish.

The newer one came out in the early 90's under the Revell name and all measuring proves it to be accurate to a tee. It's been issued as several different Camaros, each with version specific parts. There's been a convertible SS396 version, a great Z28 version (with both grilles, a perfect cross ram 302, and the proper chambered exhaust), a lovely Indy Pace Car version (with upholstery decals to perfectly match the orange houndstooth inserts), a Baldwin Motion and a Yenko (the Baldwin Motion was reissued last year and the Yenko will be reissued this year).

The only complaint I've ever heard about the kit is how difficult it is to get the completed chassis/interior unit into the body.

Flea
01-25-2004, 03:25 PM
hmmm i have the z28 one ... haven't looked to close at it other then comparing the non RS grill to the grill from the kit i already compared with my camaro ... it still doesn't look deep enough ... and the headlight trim doesn't look correct (not the right angle etc) ... might go ahead and toss one of the bodies together and paint it then compare again ...

ProSStreet
01-25-2004, 05:13 PM
post a pic of your camaro!

Flea
01-25-2004, 07:36 PM
http://cars.neontuner.com/69camaro/finished/index.htm

there are the most recent photos of it .. still looks about the same ...

Add your comment to this topic!