Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil cooler lines

justincollins
01-24-2004, 05:26 PM
i have a 2000 gmc sonoma 4x4 and my oil cooler lines leak. i priced the parts at gmc and the lines are $103 each. i was wondering if there is a wat to mount the oil filter back on to the block and what parts do i need for this, and where to get them?

Philo
02-11-2004, 08:47 PM
i have a 2000 gmc sonoma 4x4 and my oil cooler lines leak. i priced the parts at gmc and the lines are $103 each. i was wondering if there is a wat to mount the oil filter back on to the block and what parts do i need for this, and where to get them?

The shop where I get major stuff done says that once the hoses start to leak you need to do something right away - they can (and do) blow off the fittings and of course wipe out a good engine in ten seconds.

I think the 4x2 V6 trucks (S10/Sonoma) use the filter on the block, so I would take a look at one to see what the clearances are and why the 4x4 has it mounted remotely and go from there.

MagicRat
02-11-2004, 08:57 PM
I believe the remote adaptor screws to the block. It is possible to unscrew the adaptor and screw a filter in its place. However, GM usually does not install parts without a good reason.
Its best to get the lines and fix it right. Sometimes a shop thet custom makes hydraulic hoses with fittings could make you a set for a lot less than the dealers price, so long as you take the old ones to them.

OffRoadSonoma
11-04-2004, 10:30 AM
You REALLY need to change those lines as soon as possible. I have a '95 noma and only a month after i bought it the oil lines blew right off the fitting. Luckily I was paying attention and saw the check engine light come on and saw the oil pressure dropping. I pulled into the middle lane of a busy road and shut my truck off. That is the only thing that saved my beautiful truck. So I would recommend to any one with a leak to change it before it does blow, and save yourself from one BIG time headache.

sdime
12-03-2004, 10:40 PM

they all leak from new for the lot to the used and abussed that is how they was made the are going to leak trust me after putting 2 sets on my 94 zr2 but remember there is thingd called little leaks and things call big leaks you will have to make your know mind up with that one

GMCTech
12-04-2004, 05:10 AM
I have replcaed dozens of oil cooler lines. Mostly on the 4.3L Jimmy, Safari, etc.

As sdime says above the original lines DO all leak to some point, but I have yet to see a set of the GM updated lines leaking.

Like I said I have replaced dozens and we as a shop have replaced many dozens, but we have not seen a new set leak yet.

The only way to tell the difference is that there is two "crimps" on the old style and three on the new where the rubber is crimped into the fitting ends.

We have taken a couple apart and have found that not only the new crimp, but GM has added a longer male end into the line as well as a (neoprene?) sleeve over the end of the line to be crimped.

So I'd suggest, when replacing the lines, you use the new style from GM.
Just my :2cents:
Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!