Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turbo Q

andera
01-24-2004, 01:28 PM
So if i turbo my LS the gas mileage will go to shit right? well since i commute would it be possible/reasonable to like set teh boost to 1psi for going to/back from work and keep soemwhere near the same gase mileage? is it easy to have a setup where you can make these changes in the car? thanks.

whtteg
01-24-2004, 02:52 PM
A trubo car won't get bad gas milage as long as you don't boost it. ie: don't press the gas pedal as hard and keep it from going into boost, or full boost. I fyou do this it will still get good Gas mileage, not as good as stock but not terrible either.

wickedplastikman
01-27-2004, 01:23 AM
i got my teg ls turboed. i drive the car pretty hard most of the time. i am usually getting 200-275 miles per tank. so roughly i am getting around 20-23mpg. that is with stock internals and boosting 10psi with 450cc injectors.

andera
01-27-2004, 09:10 AM
10psi on stock internals? nice How much WHP does that put out? I have 120k miles on my engine. I'm hoping that I'll be able to boost around 7PSI. That'll give me some respectable HP plus a better chance of engine survival. I'm gonna put $2k in my safe after this just incase the engine does blow. If it does I'll just rebuild and boost the hell out of it... get a dyno of it at around 300+ HP and sell it to someone heh. wicked, also is it possible to keep the gase mileage at around 28mpg if its all on the freeway below 3krpm? when do you start getting boost? waht kinda turbo do you have? Thanks!

wickedplastikman
01-27-2004, 11:44 AM
with an ls, they say that you can boost 10 -12 all day on stock internals. i dont think that you can keep the mileage so high after boosting because of the different fuel usage afterwards. the turbo is basically always running even if you are not hitting it hard. do a search on turbo vs. superchargers. someone posted a great thread on this and it tells a lot on how turbos work. also i bought a kit, even though plenty of people dont like kits. i have a drag gen III kit with a skunk2 manifold.

Add your comment to this topic!